Community Forum

Forgot Username and Password for Router Login

New Poster

Forgot Username and Password for Router Login

I cannot remember my username and password to login on my router... i need to change my wifi password.. i called comcast n they want $50 to help me...what can i do?! please help

Frequent Visitor

Re: Forgot Username and Password for Router Login

If you reset the router using the reset button the password will go back to the original default password which is usualy:

User name:  admin

Password:  password

This is what my router's defaults are.  Hope this helps.

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, if you do use the reset button, depress and hold it in for at least 20-30 seconds then release for a FULL reset back to factory defaults.

New Poster

Don't remember getting a router password when Comcast hooked up modem and router. How can I find out the password for the router so I can activate my Kindle Paperwhite?

Contributor

Your modem router password (gateway) is different then your wifi password, however when you login to the device you'll find it. 

A) Do you have a computer that's already connected to the gateway's wifi? 

-If you do type in 10.0.0.1 and admin/password is the defaults 

If you are just trying to connect a Kindle to the wifi and don't know the wifi password, and don't have a computer, the WPA2 passphrase is on the bottom

-With my wonderful gateway my wifi password on the bottom only showed 11 of the 16 characters of my wifi password (before I changed it)

If A works:

Go to that 10.0.0.1 (that's in the address bar  of a webpage)

enter admin & password

Then click on Wifi and that should show you the wifi name & password.

-If you click "Edit" it'll actually allow you to change the wifi password to something easier.

That being said: I've been having problems logging into mine today, and i"m wondering if Comcast has done something with a firmware update.