Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Forced modem "upgrade"

New Poster

Forced modem "upgrade"

Comcast is clearly forcing unnecessary modem upgrades for their own purposes. They recently began throttling my speed to force me to upgrade from DOCSIS 2 to DOCSIS 3. My theory is they've done this so that they can use my network to add capacity to their hot spot service, Xfinitywifi, using my equipment and electricity. More than grudgingly, I added a new modem and it’s absolutely NO faster than my old one. Not one MB faster. But the Xfinitywif is MUCH faster, almost 10 MB faster. Gee, I wonder why they forced me to change? Comcast is so shady.

It used to be very easy to shut that xfinitywifi service off. That is, opt out of xfinitywifi. Does anyone know how to do that and what the consequence (besides losing access to xfinitywifi) would be? I imagine they make it as hard as possible if not impossible to do it. Or they make the choice to shut off temporary.

I wouldn't be shocked to find out that they own or have an interest in modem manufacturing. I am sure they’d love it if a lot of people break down and rent a gateway from them because then they get people to PAY to help them use their network unbeknownst to them. In any event, there’s no doubt they force me to spend money on a new modem purely for their own benefit and not at all for mine.

Details:

I have been using a DOCSIS 2 modem since I started my xfinity internet service more than three years ago. It's worked perfectly and always given me my maximum speed. Practically since I started, they have been hustling me to change modems. They’d write letters insinuating my service would be interrupted and nothing ever happened. Recently, they started popping up notes as I surfed saying Sept 28 2017 was the deadline to change because my modem was “no longer compatible with” their network, or something to that affect. Sure enough, Sept. 28 my speed dropped to nothing. This is a scam and it goes to show you what Comcast’s monopoly is doing to the industry.

Contributor

Re: Forced modem "upgrade"

tjohns9622 wrote:

It used to be very easy to shut that xfinitywifi service off. That is, opt out of xfinitywifi. Does anyone know how to do that and what the consequence (besides losing access to xfinitywifi) would be? I imagine they make it as hard as possible if not impossible to do it. Or they make the choice to shut off temporary.

Supposedly it's easy to turn it off but in your account, but I've heard people say before it just gets turned back on again after a while so who knows.

My preferred way to avoid being used as a WiFi host is to just buy my own modem and separate router (not a combo unit).  You also save the rental fee they charge you each month.  I've been doing that for the last 7 years or so with fairly minimal problems.  It's an easy solution, provided you don't use their voice service.

Expert

DOCSIS 2 is a 16-year-old standard, it's obsolete. No one is throttling you, your equipment is ancient and no longer compatible. If you rent a Comcast gateway, it has a secondary function as a hot spot. If that's an issue for you, don't rent a gateway from Comcast. Rent a modem and use your own router or just buy your own equipment.

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
New Poster

Actually tjohns9622 is correct, they are throttling speeds for DOCSIS 2.0 modem owners after Sept. 28th, and I have a screenshot to prove it. Same issue happened to me and after checking modem logs, I noticed that modem is now using a new boot config file even after a full reset, so it must be hard coded on their systems. I get the outdated hardware debate and their IT folks probably don’t want to support it if there are problems. However if you have a working modem and don’t have Internet speeds over 38Mbps, what’s the issue? Why not give customers options to run with older hardware as long as it can support their current Internet plan, for example Performance 25Mbps plan. As long as customers are made aware that they won’t receive support if modem was to go bad and at that point they would have to buy new DOCSIS 3.0 and later hardware. This is a very shady and unethical decision by Comcast executives, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose customers over this.

screenprint.png

New Poster

Comcast says My SB-6121 

Device Type

CableModem

Download Speed 

Up to 100 Mbps

Voice/Telephone enabled

No

WiFi enabled

No

DOCSIS Channels 

4 down × 4 up

DOCSIS Version 

DOCSIS 3.0

IPv6

Yes

Is outdated? 

New Poster

They said the exact same BS to me as well...

I have the exact same modem as you. The other day I recieved a letter in the mail from Comcast stating that comcast is improving speeds in my area and my current modem is outdated an needs to be replaced. "Great!" I thought, I would glady welcome higher speeds. I called comcast to find out exactly what modem I should upgrade to to accomidate the new speeds without overpaying for one that would be overkill for my plan (75Mbps). After talking with two seperate comcast reps, they stated the same thing the letter did, that my equipment is out of date and would need to replaced. When I asked what my new speed was getting improved to they said that it would be 75Mbps... The same speed I have right now! Not an upgrade whatsoever. The SB-6121 supports up to 100 Mbps so I shouldnt have to upgrade there. The second rep I spoke to stated that I would need to get a new modem that would support DOCSIS 3.0... MY CURRENT MODEM DOES. Can anyone tell me why I would have to upgrade my modem if it supports the necessary requirements? Please. They would only reiterate that my equipment needed to be upgraded because it is outdated. The rep finally confessed that they the letter they sent to me is very misleading as my speeds would not be increased but rather they will be more reliable. They straight up lied to thier customers. What a joke Comcast is. The only reason they are still in business is because they are a monopoly and have paid off politicians to remain the only cable internet provider in many municipalites. With any amount of competition, they would have been buried long ago. Over the last few weeks my connection had been very poor and I have reason to believe they are throttling my connection as well but have no way of proving it. Can someone from the community OR Comcast please advise me on what is going on?

Much appreciated

Problem Solver

It is true that the SB6121 is outdated becuase it is a 4x4 channel bonding modem and becuase it is already End Of Life. However, they are basically saying it is recommended that you upgarde your modem to higher channel bonding. Since you do say you are having poor connections, how do your signal levels look like? You can see them at http://192.168.100.1

Expert

FWIW, the retail version of the 6121 is not EOL;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6121-365

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/SB6121-6141-End-of-Life-Details/td-p/2708003

Only the version that they rent is.

New Poster

Actually if you just go to mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to look at all devices, you will not find the SB6121 listed at any speed.  It has been removed from their list of certified modems.  The direct link to the SB6121 still exists, but that is all.

New Poster

Forgot to mention that the date of the following link is dated 02-25-2016.  It was not EOL then.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/SB6121-6141-End-of-Life-Details/td-p/2708003

Expert

ssmax3655 wrote:

Actually if you just go to mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to look at all devices, you will not find the SB6121 listed at any speed.  It has been removed from their list of certified modems.  The direct link to the SB6121 still exists, but that is all.

It's listed as approved in my area. Go to this link and put in sb6121 retail;

https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/customerinfo

Silver Problem Solver

ssmax3655 wrote:

Not here, it's still listed as approved up to 100Mbps. As you can imagine there are quite a few modems that support that speed. All the 4x4 channel modems I know of are still on there.

Are you pressing "Show More" at the bottom of the mydeviceinfo page? You will have to press it several times to get them to show up!

New Poster

Funny, I pressed the "Kudos" button, and it didn't register.  Nice, Comcast!

Thanks everyone on this exchange for clarifying another slimy Comcast move.

New Poster

Are you in MA? I'm on Cape Cod and luckily have never gotten a letter or phone calls. We have been lucky with service also. Curious as to what area all these different complaints are happening with the modem I guess I'm lucky!
Frequent Visitor

I have a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and it has been working just fine until about 6 weeks or so ago.  If I look on the listing of compatible equipment for my area, this modem no longer appears (and yes, I do the show more button until all items continue to show...I believe there were over 65 or so modems that showed up, give or take).  I have Blast! which I believe gives me a speed of 150, that I don't believe I've ever gotten, however; I really don't do an abundance of downloading of anything large, so the speed I have is fine.  What has been happening over the past 6 weeks is that I'm losing my internet connection on and off at all hours and I'm wondering if that has to do with the modem and Comcast wanting us to upgrade?  I see an awful lot of posts with folks complaining about similar problems....seems like an odd coincidence.  I really just don't know at this point.  Resetting the modem/router does nothing.  My router is relatively new, so I know it's not that.  Just wondering if this is all part of their wanting people to upgrade their modems in areas where they have take certain equipment off of their 'listings'......

Expert

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Frequent Visitor

Downstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 11  13 
Frequency 555000000 Hz  561000000 Hz  573000000 Hz  585000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB  36 dB  38 dB  38 dB 
Downstream Modulation QAM256  QAM256  QAM256  QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
3 dBmV   3 dBmV   2 dBmV   3 dBmV  

Upstream Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 29  30  31 
Frequency 36500000 Hz  30100000 Hz  23700000 Hz 
Ranging Service ID 11691  11691  11691 
Symbol Rate 5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec  5.120 Msym/sec 
Power Level 47 dBmV  49 dBmV  49 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation [2] QPSK
[1] 32QAM
[3] 64QAM

[2] QPSK
[1] 32QAM
[3] 64QAM

[2] QPSK
[1] 32QAM
[3] 64QAM

Ranging Status Success  Success  Success 

Signal Stats (Codewords) Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID 11  13 
Total Unerrored Codewords 571134661  571134539  571134895  571134544 
Total Correctable Codewords 12  19  18  13 
Total Uncorrectable Codewords 924  1048  678 

Expert

The upstream power is borderline / high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

ok, thanks.  just weird how this only started about 6 weeks ago and before that didn't have any problems at all with same equipment and set up.  my cable runs underground in my complex and i don't have a bunch of crazy splits going on and i do believe that we have pretty good quality connectors being used...but will check everything and see if that helps at all.  just odd that this internet drop of 5 to 10 mins of lost connection seems to be a pretty common problem i'm seeing by quite a few people on this forum lately...just thought that perhaps something was up and it might have something to do with them wanting folks to upgrade the modems.  i'll do what you suggested and if that doesn't do anything I'll try to see if they'll send someone out on their dime (haha).  thanks very much for the responses....appreciated!  take good care and happy new year to you!!

Frequent Visitor

FYI EG, Wanted to let you know that my problem persisted to the point that after trying what you suggested (with no difference) I finally gave up and called Comcast.  They sent out a tech (the same day actually!).  Turns out we had a bad outside cable and inside as well.  He said that more times than not it's usually one of their cables that causes this and they need to re-run it into the house sometimes (especially if the cables and set up are olddddd....haha, mine was).  Long and frustrating story short, about 24 hours now and so far, so good.  I took a look at my stats after he re-ran everything and they looked WAY better....what a difference from before!  So I suppose time will tell.  As an aside, this tech said that he has encountered on calls that a lot of folks are resistent to having lines re-run in their homes due to them having to (obviously) drill a hole in a different spot.  Who knows, huh?  But hey, if it solves my problem? I was all for it!!!!  Thanks again for taking the time to try to help me and will keep my fingers crossed.  Just thought I would give you info as to what my actual problem was so perhaps it might help others who seem to be having the same problem.  This tech seemed to think it is usually a bad cable line problem (theirs) when this happens.

Expert

O/k thanks for posting back. Good luck ! Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

Kicken wrote:

tjohns9622 wrote:

Supposedly it's easy to turn it off but in your account, but I've heard people say before it just gets turned back on again after a while so who knows.

My preferred way to avoid being used as a WiFi host is to just buy my own modem and separate router (not a combo unit).  You also save the rental fee they charge you each month.  I've been doing that for the last 7 years or so with fairly minimal problems.  It's an easy solution, provided you don't use their voice service.

FYI, I have Comcast voice, and I recently activated a retail SB8200 modem for the Gigabit Internet (coupled with my ASUS RT-AC68P router), and an older TM722G for voice only which I got off Amazon for $30.. Works amazingly well, plus it saves me the modem rental fees and dealing with the xfinitywifi hotspot. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman