Community Forum

Firmware Update for Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router

Regular Visitor

Firmware Update for Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router

Greetings:

I have owned a Motorola (now ARRIS) SBG6580 modem/router gateway combo for 4 1/2 years.  The download speed is now poor and it appears I have no choice but to purchase a new modem if I cannot upgrade my old modem.  Does anyone know if any firmware patches exist I can download?

I am looking to purchase a new ARRIS SB 6183 cable modem which gets great reviews.  Does anyone think this might be a better solution?

regards,
Arthur

Expert

Re: Firmware Update for Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router

Yes. A 6183 straight cable modem used with a high quality stand-alone router would be a better way to go than those combo modem / router gateway devices ! An even better and more futureproof purchase than a 6183 would be a newest DOCSIS 3.1 standard capable cable modem.

Only Comcast can update the firmware on a 6580, or any combo gateway device for that matter.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Firmware Update for Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem & Gigabit Router

Thanks EG for the quick reply. I guess firmware is out of the question. I will speak with the knowledgeable folks at MicroCenter tomorrow and see what they say.

regards,

Arthur

Expert

Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert
Moved: