Community Forum

Fiber optic instead of coax

New Poster

Fiber optic instead of coax

I am doing some upgrades on my house and part of this project I am running 12 fiber singlemode 9/125 and 6 fiber 62.5/125 multimode fiber optic cable underground from the street to the house. Since there will be extra fibers available, I was wondering if xfinity could utilize these fibers for my service instead of using coax. Not sure how far the closest fiber tap is or if they can covert from coax to fiber at the pole.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Fiber optic instead of coax

If it hasn’t been changed over already it won’t be in use

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Yeah, it hasn't been changed over yet. I was just asking if they could utilize it. I'm mainly running the fiber since I have a trench open and I am connecting the garage to the house with 10Gb SFP+ switches. So since the entire inside of the house is 10Gb, I would like to also utilize the fiber to the street. I guess I should call the tech support line to see if they can switch it over. The house is about 300 ft from the street, so the coax has always been an issue without ampilfiers. I am also running cat 6a and RG11 to the street, so I have a few options. I figure cable is cheap compared to the trenching.

I'm also curious if the XFinity Gigabit Pro service level is also available. I would be interested in getting that if that is still an option. Could be a good first candidate for that in the area since I already have a bunch of fiber switches.

Diamond Problem Solver

The whole area(node/neighborhood) would have to be switched over. You’ll know it when the digging starts. I’m not sure what they are doing in other markets but in my market, they were installing fiber in brand new subdivisions, not in established neighborhoods with coax. And they use premade fiber jumpers for installs.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Oh well. I guess in 10 years or so, I'll at least have the fiber at the street when its ready to get utilized. Progress is always too slow.