Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Faster Upload than Download Speed

Regular Visitor

Faster Upload than Download Speed

I have a Dori (sic), i.e. Internet and Telephone service. I connect wirelessly. Why are my upload speeds faster than my download speeds?

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Faster Upload than Download Speed

If noise ingress is present the modem can only read the downstrean SNR figure. You should also call in and ask a rep for the uSNR figure (upstream Signal to Noise Ratio). It should be at least 30 dB, and higher is better. Any possible noise ingress may be in the upstream channels / return path only.

All Replies
New Poster

my suggestion is to go to dslreports.com and use their tools. i would use the Tweak test and the Doctor TCP and let them analyze your connection.  the other thing is: it just might be an anomaly for a short while.  but try dsl reports,

New Poster

What sort of speeds do you consider slow?

New Poster

having the same issues.  Currently on performance level.  upload speeds consistant at between 4.5-6.5 mbps.  Download speeds are very inconsistant.  During a standard ping the download shifts between 2.5 mbps and test out less than 1 mbps (.36. .52, .47).  Have brand new modems and routers.  Comcast came out twice last week.  Removed all splitters so I only have one line for internet.  Range test came in at 28 mbps.  Five minutes after leaving dropped back to .52.  Again, upload is great.

New Poster

Same issue here, different modem. I have an Arris modem and a 50 Mbps plan but for some reason I'm getting DL speeds of less than 10 Mbps consistently. Is Comcast throttling the internet speeds??? What am I paying all this money for?
Problem Solver

Okay first off these are peer to peer boards, most posters are other users like yourself. That said...

Are you talking  wireless speeds or both hard wired and wireless?

Can you post the up/down stream power levels and SNR so we can rule out the usual suspects?

Regular Visitor

Just ran a test this morning (Wed, June 18, 2014 @7:39AM ET).

Ping: 9ms

Download: 7.82Mbps

Upload: 11.72Mbps

This is consistent with test conducted in the past; the upload is always faster than the download. Isn't it usually vice-versa?

In the past, I received download speeds upwards of 30Mbps, and the upload speed was above 10Mbps; but again, the download speed was always faster than the upload.

Finally, I am always wireless.

Expert

JamesWalkerJax wrote:

I have a Dori (sic), i.e. Internet and Telephone service. I connect wirelessly. Why are my upload speeds faster than my download speeds?

When you see your speeds "upside down" like that it is generally a router issue. Since you have a built-in router there isn't much you can do other then reset the device. Depress the reset button on the back of the modem for at least 15 seconds. do it TWICE. This will reset it to factory settings so you'll lose any custom settings. 

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Expert

ronblock wrote:

my suggestion is to go to dslreports.com and use their tools. i would use the Tweak test and the Doctor TCP and let them analyze your connection.  

FWIW "tweaking" and the "DrTCP" tool are only good for tweaking the TCP IP stack parameters of computers with older operating systems such as Window XP. Newer O/S's have self tuning stacks. 

Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, resetting the router is a daily occurrence. I did it again just now, and the speed test was: Ping: 10ms DL: 32Mbps (nice!) UL: 12Mbps (nice!) But, within five minutes, I ran an additional five speed tests and the speeds returned to being "upside-down" with the ping remaining the same. A different server was used on each of the tests, and all returned upside-down. Time to swap the router.
Regular Visitor

No help from me, just jumping on here to say same issue.

Same problems with the TG862, SBG6580, A  random netgear, and a modem and linksys 54g. All have the same issue with 11Mb Uploads, 6Mb Downloads. Paying for blast service.

Problem Solver

JamesWalkerJax wrote:
Unfortunately, resetting the router is a daily occurrence. I did it again just now, and the speed test was: Ping: 10ms DL: 32Mbps (nice!) UL: 12Mbps (nice!) But, within five minutes, I ran an additional five speed tests and the speeds returned to being "upside-down" with the ping remaining the same. A different server was used on each of the tests, and all returned upside-down. Time to swap the router.

Still haven't given us anything to work with.

Could you post you Up/Down stream power levels and SNR. Lets see if part of the problem is line noise.

Expert

What JEMRING said. It prob is a bad gateway device, but before you go to the effort of replacing it, please give us more info.

See: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Re...

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Expert

If noise ingress is present the modem can only read the downstrean SNR figure. You should also call in and ask a rep for the uSNR figure (upstream Signal to Noise Ratio). It should be at least 30 dB, and higher is better. Any possible noise ingress may be in the upstream channels / return path only.

New Poster

I have the same type of readings.  This is across three different laptops, and both a home network and 2 business networks.  The readings I got today were ping 37 ms DOWNLOAD 10.86 mbpsUPLOAD  21.03 mbps. I have seen this everytime that I have tried a sppedtest for just under a year.  this may be a feature of the comcast system.

Expert