We cancelled television service and the boost package that came with it, thinking that we'd save money. Now we have the performance tier our bill went up just enough so that we are paying the exact same amount that we were before. Funny how that works out.
The thing is, since the downgrade on internet tiers, the download speed we see in our house has plummeted through the floor. The upload speed is consistently 5.5-6 Mbps, but I rarely see higher than 2Mbps download on speedtest.net, the speed is more likely to be around 0.6-0.8Mbps.
If I restart the modem, I can test at 18-20Mbps download speed for several minutes until we start a streaming app, or online game, or begin browsing the web. Shortly after commencing any of these activities, the download speed suffers. After cancelling all streaming/download apps, the measured download speed will not get over the 2Mbps barrier.
I get very similar results whether testing through the router, or modem->PC directly.
Hopefully somebody in the know can help me out here? Thanks in advance!
Router is: Netgear N600 Wireless Duall Band WND83400
Cable Modem Report:
Modem Serial Number
Cable Modem MAC Address
Receive Power Level
Transmit Power Level
Cable Modem Status
Shaper Detection Module:
DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.
Connected to server 22.214.171.124.
Upstream: 5537 Kbps.
Downstream: 26482 Kbps.
The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.
Checking for traffic shapers:
Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 5469 Kbps.
Downstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.
For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe
Results from http://measurementlab.net/run-ndt:
WEB100 Kernel Variables:
The theoretical network limit is 1.36 Mbps
The NDT server has a 10.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 4.48 Mbps
Your PC/Workstation has a 64.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 13.07 Mbps
The network based flow control limits the throughput to 1.74 Mbps
Client Data reports link is 'T3',
Client Acks report link is 'T3'
Server Data reports link is 'OC-48',
Server Acks report link is 'Ethernet'
No duplex mismatch condition was detected.
The test did not detect a cable fault.
Network congestion may be limiting the connection.
No network address translation appliance was detected.
Another common result reported by other tests:
The slowest link in the end-to-end path is a 45 Mbps T3/DS3 subnet
Other network traffic is congesting the link
Solved! Go to Solution.
Your upstream level is too high (should be less than 50dBmV) -- this is part of your problem. Usually this is caused by too many splitters or bad/substandard wiring. It's possible it is a Comcast issue, but most likely the problem exists between the tap (pole) and your modem. Also, your modem was End Of Life about a year and a half ago, it needs to be replaced.
Thanks, I'd suspected as much. I'm probably behind 2 splitters (cable line goes through a building I don't have access to). I'll definitely get a new modem in here.
I spent months with fast speeds and then my downloads speeds fell off a cliff (0.24 MB/s download with regular 5.5 MB/s upload). I later figured out that the splitter I had to divide the cable coming off the wall was the problem. Once I removed that-- my download speeds were back. Now to just figure out the tv....