Community Forum

Factory Reset Question

New Poster

Factory Reset Question

I was doing some troubleshooting for my neighbor who was having issues with Wifi not working correctly, and I did all the resets multiple times which did not fix the issue. 

So I moved on to the Factory Reset, and did that. So after the gateway reset it now will not let me move forward without changing SSID, and Network Password. 

My neighbor doesn't want a new SSID, and Password is there any way to use the SSID, and Password on the label again after a factory reset?

I already tried setting up a new SSID, and Password, and then going into Admin Tool (10.0.0.1) and changing it back to the one on the gateway label (Didn't Work). Tried Restore Wifi Settings which does change it back but then when you try to use the internet it takes you back to the screen to change SSID, and Password.

This is a XB3 DPC3939 Gateway

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Factory Reset Question

There’s no way around it, you have to reset it. You may look at getting your neighbor to upgrade equipment, that gateway is about 6-7 years old

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

I wish it would have warned me before it reset that afterward I would have to change passwords and ssid.

The reason I was messing with it was because his 5ghz is broadcasting but will not let you connect.

What is involved in swapping Gateways? Do I take it to the Comcast office or am I mailed one?

Diamond Problem Solver

You can take it into any Xfinity service center. If you’re doing it on behalf of your neighbor, you need to be on the account if they are not present.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!