Community Forum

Extremely Slow Internet Speeds (Wired)

New Poster

Extremely Slow Internet Speeds (Wired)

Hello, I own a netgear C7000v2 that i bought Sept 2 2019. At first the modem/router gave me a lot of issues during set up but after about 2 hours i was able to get it up and running with the 400mbps speed in my plan and worked great for a couple weeks. However in the last 7 days or so i started noticing extremely slow performance. Coincidentally this happened around the same time that xfinity increased my speeds from 400mbps down and 10mbps up to 500mbps down to 15mbps up. However as of the last test i did, I am only getting between 5mbps - 100mbps down (WIRED). Its never stable at all. Up speed will be around 7mbps constantly. I constanly see lag while gaming now and even browsing the internet can take up to 20seconds to load a page like amazon. Ive reseted it about 5 or 6 times and im still having issues.

I am at a loss as for what to do. Before this I used an xb6 and everything worked great. I ended up going with my own modem to save a bit on the bill. I went to a store to return a previous one and now i start having issues. Am i getting throttled or did the recent speed change mess something up? I havent requested a technician since everything was working perfectly fine even before i changed to my own modem. Anyone have any idea as to what my be the issue?  Im thinking of getting a separate modem and router and see if that may be the issue but would like to see if an expoert here may be able to pinpoint the issue.

Expert

Re: Extremely Slow Internet Speeds (Wired)

First, call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Extremely Slow Internet Speeds (Wired)

Thank you for the response. I did  a full factory reset of the modem and that didn't help. I went ahead and called and the lady over the phone said she detected a leakage and issues with the signal recieved by the modem. She said that it could be anywhere from the pole to the lines outside the house so she schedlued a tech visit for monday. She did not seem to know what i meant when i read out your response to her. Ill go ahead and update this thread on monday with the result of the visit. If it doesnt work ill try to reach the US call center. Thank you for your help!

On a side note, I did happen to see a tech messing about on the pole across the street from my house a little over a week ago around the same time i got the notification that my speed would increase. Hopefully this had nothing to do with it lol.