Community Forum

Extreme Pro only gives ~ 85 Mbps Ethernet

Frequent Visitor

Extreme Pro only gives ~ 85 Mbps Ethernet

Just upgraded to Extreme Pro - only getting ~ 58 Mbps when etherneted directly to the gateway.  Have tried all the normal things.  

Used to have Blast which was only ever ~ 40 Mbps

Gateway is Cisco DPC3941T

Not sure what else to try?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Re: Extreme Pro only gives ~ 85 Mbps Ethernet

Diamond Problem Solver

Does the device that you’re testing with have the ability to go over 100 mbps?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

This may not be the root cause of the problem, but it should be addressed nevertheless as it may be a problem just waiting to happen.

The upstream power is on the high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks EG,

Tech was just out last week to fix two tvs that would not work, line was cut (probably by the yard crew)  He spliced that line back together.

He replaced the splitter so assume it's a higher quality one. splitter-min.jpg

I did not think to test the speed while he was here (that would be too logical) Smiley Happy 

It does drop randomly for short periods ( a couple times  a day)

Frequent Visitor

Hi Comcast Andrew,

I'm not sure actually, you would think that would be easy to ascertain, the maximum speed that the nic can handle.  I cannot seem to find that online anywhere.

It is a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, i5 7200 U 2.5GHz CPU, HP Pavilion laptop, 2-3 years old.

I updated the following settings, but still the same.

Auto Disable Gigabit = Disabled

Gigabit Lite = Disabled

Green Ethernet = Disabled

Speed & Duplex = 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex

NOTE:

Mobiles via 5 GHz wi fi, next to the gateway

Galaxy S6 - 80-135 Mbps

iPhone 7 - 250-350 Mbps

iPhone 8 - 400+ Mbps

EthernetConnection.png

Silver Problem Solver

Try swapping the ethernet cable, you are showing a link speed of 100Mbps, should be 1.0 Gb.

Failing that try updating the NIC driver.

Frequent Visitor

Wow, yep, bad cable, now 400+ Mbps via Ethernet

Strangely, on wifi, same wifi that gives the good speed above on our mobiles, on this laptop never get > 50Mbps

wifilaptop.PNG

Silver Problem Solver

Not all wireless cards are equal, you could try tweaking a few settings on the card, wireless N only ect; look for a compatable upgraded internal card or try a USB ac wireless device.

Frequent Visitor

Updated the driver, althrough it lists n support in the dialogue header below, I don't see n or n only as an option in the "Wireless Mode" Property

wificonnection.PNG