Community Forum

Exterior wires

New Poster

Exterior wires

Hello,

(sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the photo)  I suspect that the wires pictured in the attached photo are Comcast wires - the cord entering the siding near the bottom left of the photo goes into a cable TV hookup in a bedroom, and the other two split off from there to end at the top right of the picture, seemingly going nowhere.  I just noticed this today, it could have been that way for awhile.  All three wires originate from the same box on my front porch.  I'm not sure if this isWires.jpg intentional or needs to be looked at.  Any thoughts?

Expert

Re: Exterior wires

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Your picture isn’t clear at all, maybe one that’s closer up. It’s hard to tell because everything is painted the same color but looks like the cables are cut. Are you actually having issues?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

No, I'm not having any issues. I'm just not sure if it's dangerous to have wires out like that.
New Poster

Now that I say that, though, I actually don't use the nearby outlet anymore (took the TV out), so I'm not sure that that particular one works.  No issues with internet or other TV service, though.  I remember they had to do some drilling to get that outlet installed, would they have cut cables as part of that?  Or is there a reason cables would need to be running up to my roof and maybe they are damaged?  I just have no idea how any of it works.

New Poster

I called Comcast about this. The woman on the phone was very concerned, telling me this is very dangerous and possibly has live electricity. Then later in the call, she asked if I could disconnect the wires myself. I said no way am I doing that, so she escalated and promised a call back that I have yet to receive.

In the same call, she offered me an 8-10 am window tomorrow morning to check for leaks in my internet service (?) that is unrelated to the wires. So why am I still waiting for a call back to schedule for something she claims is "very dangerous"? Frustrating.
Expert

Still can't see your pic BTW......... Unless there are electrical power wires there, coax cable does NOT carry a voltage that is dangerous.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I can't see a picture, but coax cables are virtually never dangerous (extremely rare for a coax cable to have voltage on it because of a problem inside the home, for example bad electrical outlets backfeeding voltage through equipment attached to coax).  Don't worry about that.  The only dangerous wires are power.  The only power wires outside are from a power pole to your power meter and then inside the house.  All other wiring is not dangerous.  Because I can't see your picture I can't comment specifically.  But I will say, are all these exposed wires hooked up to Comcast?  The only way to tell is to follow the wires back to your house box and look inside (watch out for wasps!).  If they are not in use they should not be connected to anything in your house box.  If they are not in use then they SHOULDN'T be connected to anything in your house box.  All wires past the house box are your property to do with as you please.  If they are in poor shape and not in use, they are doing nothing for you and likely would need replacement to reconnected unused rooms that the lines currently feed into.