Community Forum

Ethernet slower than wifi on gigabit install

Regular Visitor

Ethernet slower than wifi on gigabit install

I had my service upgraded to gigabit today. Forced to have a tech come out and ended up with basically the same speed when he left. My WiFi is blazing far to my phone. Ethernet is getting 100mbit though. Tried connecting directly to my laptop and a desktop no change. Did a factory reset on the modem/router no change. Any suggestions? I've never seen this and the tech seemed to be stumped as well.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Ethernet slower than wifi on gigabit install

@zim804 wrote:
I had my service upgraded to gigabit today. Forced to have a tech come out and ended up with basically the same speed when he left. My WiFi is blazing far to my phone. Ethernet is getting 100mbit though. Tried connecting directly to my laptop and a desktop no change. Did a factory reset on the modem/router no change. Any suggestions? I've never seen this and the tech seemed to be stumped as well.

Did you see this?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I did! Sadly, those tips didn't fix the issue.
Silver Problem Solver

@zim804 wrote:
I did! Sadly, those tips didn't fix the issue.

What are you getting with the beta speed test?

https://speedtest-beta.xfinity.com/

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

Does the device connected have a 10/100/1000 gigabit ethernet port or a 10/100 Fast ethernet?

Regular Visitor

I got exactly 94.8Mbps (slower than before the upgrade) on the Beta speed test, and all of the devices I have used have Gigabit nics with updated drivers.

I have tested both gigabit ports coming off of the modem/router directly into my laptop I use for work, I have seen much higher speeds on it at other locations.

I thought it might resolve itself by this weekend but it looks like time to call in.

Silver Problem Solver

@zim804 wrote:

I got exactly 94.8Mbps (slower than before the upgrade) on the Beta speed test, and all of the devices I have used have Gigabit nics with updated drivers.

I have tested both gigabit ports coming off of the modem/router directly into my laptop I use for work, I have seen much higher speeds on it at other locations.

I thought it might resolve itself by this weekend but it looks like time to call in.

The beta has a link called Why results don't match my plan; what does it say about your plan?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Absolutely nothing useful. I'm guessing it's supposed to say something about the speed I'm paying for, but it doesn't?comcast speed test.png

Regular Visitor

Ok, so I'm up to 285 now, I'm really confused because nothing has changed on my end.

i took my pockethernet around and checked every single connection in my house and everything is showing gigabit. Is it possible that my rental gateway is bad?

Official Employee

Hello, zim804!

I'm glad you reached out to us for assistance with this issue. I'm also glad to hear you seem to be getting proper speeds again. In these situations it is likely there were issues in the area that were causing degraded service. Unless it takes customers offline, you likely won't see any maintenance notifications if we are working on repairs in the area. If you would like confirmation on this, you are more than welcome to send me a private message with your first and last name and I will happily check on the history in your area to see if this was the case. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

zim804, as I have not heard back from you in some time, I have closed this thread to further comments. I hope you were able to get clarification on the cause of your issue, but if you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!