Community Forum

Enable Bridge mode - no internet?

Frequent Visitor

Enable Bridge mode - no internet?

I'm trying to test whether new Linksys 1200ac modem will give better coverage in and around my house for wifi.  I admit to being a newbie when it comes to networking stuff.  My scenarios is:

I go to the Arris Xfinity modem/router admin page (10.0.0.1) and make change to "Enable" Bridge Mode.  I hook ethernet cable from Arris to my new router.  But I'm missing something, as any device connecting to the new Linksys router does NOT have internet access.  There must be something more to do, some missing step - but can't figure out what it is to enable internet thru the Arris to the new Linksys router to a device that connects to the Linksys wifi network.

I tried connecting a laptop via ethernet cable to the Arris, but still no internet access.  What am I missing?

Help!

thanks, themurfs

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Enable Bridge mode - no internet?

Are you connecting the Linksys *router* to ethernet port number 1 on the Arris gateway ? Did you powercycle the Arris gateway after you put it in to bridge mode ?

Frequent Visitor

Yes - ethernet from port 1 in Arris to the Linksys.  Interesting observation - no lights flashing on Arris port 1.  That ok or indication of issue?  

Powercycle the Arris?  Uh, pull power plug?  or something more than that?  I'd guess the answer is "no".  Tell me what "powercycle" is, and I'll give it a whirl.

Frequent Visitor

And to confirm, the ethernet cable from Arris Port 1 goes to the "internet" port on the linksys, correct?  

Diamond Problem Solver

themurfs wrote:

Powercycle the Arris?  Uh, pull power plug?  or something more than that?  I'd guess the answer is "no".  Tell me what "powercycle" is, and I'll give it a whirl.

Yes. Unplug it from the power outlet for a minute. And remove the back-up battery if one is installed.

Diamond Problem Solver

themurfs wrote:

And to confirm, the ethernet cable from Arris Port 1 goes to the "internet" port on the linksys, correct?  

Yes.

Frequent Visitor

ok.  found description of "powercycle" - i.e. press reset button in back for at least 10 seconds.  I'll do that soon as I send this note.  It might be an hour before I have tested whether the powercycle works to enable bridge mode and am back online again.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Changed setting to Enable Bridge Mode.  Saved settings.  Unplugged power on Arris, pulled battery on Arris.   plugged power back in, waited for lights on front to stop flashing (note that wifi light on front is now off).  

plugged my computer directly into port 1 - there are no lights flashing on that port - lights flash on the other ports when cable plugged in, but not on port 1.  Is that significant?

No internet access for my computer - no access at all on port 1.  can't even get to 10.0.0.1 thru port 1.  So, moved cable to port 2 (lights flash at the port), changed Bridge Mode back to disable and came back here to report what happened.  

Ideas?  thoughts?  what to try next?

Diamond Problem Solver

Try resetting the Arris back to factory defaults (with it powered on) by holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30-40 seconds, then release. Now do everything that you did before once again. Set to bridge mode etc etc.

Silver Problem Solver

What is the model of the Arris gateway?

Valued Contributor

Start simple.

Set bridge mode in modem.

Connect your computer to the modem with an Ethernet cable and see if you can access the Internet.

Once you get that working, then connect the router to the modem and connect your computer to the router with an Ethernet cable.  Check for Internet access.

Once you get that working then you can use wireless.

At each step you may need to reset the modem.

Diamond Problem Solver

NM.

Frequent Visitor

tried the reset button - the Arris says it is in Bridge Mode, but Port 1 is dead (no lights) - all other ports look like they are working.  Even when Bridge Mode disabled, port 1 lights never flash/turn on when cable is plugged into port 1.  Wonder if the router has "bad" port 1?  or is there some setting/switch to enable port 1?  I'm clueless here.

Model is Arris TC862.  

Couple other notes - sometimes, sometimes, if I connect laptop to Port 2 or 3 or 4 (or connect router to any of the ports 2 thru 4), I get internet access while Arris is in Bridge Mode.  Sometimes - but sometimes the internet is down.  When no internet, the lights for Port 2/3/4 will flash/be on when cable plugged in, but no internet.  I can't pinpoint what conditions where Bridge Mode enabled, and internet access "on" thru Ports 2-4 vs Bridge Mode enabled and internet is down.  Seems random - yesterday evening worked ok it seemed,  this morning seldom works.  

Arris is back with Bridge Mode disabled so I can have consistent internet access - but I really want the extended range or new router - when it was working yesterday evening, I was able to get wifi in areas where Arris just doesn't reach.

Ideas?  

Diamond Problem Solver

We've seen posts here indicating firmware and hardware issues concerning bridge mode and port number 1 with the 862 before. Bring it to your local Comcast service center and have it swapped. Ask for a newer XB3 gateway device. Even bettter, if you also have their phone service, ask for an eMTA (modem with phone support but no built in router) such as an ArrisTM722 or newer and better TM822. Use your own router with either.

Frequent Visitor

Latest update: first thanks for suggestions on replacing modem! Second, seems I have Internet connection problems separate from hooking up my router. I spent hour on phone w tech guy, who seemed to understand the ins and outs of Bridge Mode, etc. He made sure Bridge Mode enabled. And determined that my "signal" had issues from their end (ie before signal got to house). So I have appt w Comcast repair tech to check our line on Sat (2 days away).

But I do have my doubts the problem is signal strength- specially when it "magically" appears at same time I attempt to enable Bridge Mode. Hmm, coincidence? Or maybe internal firmware of Arris is buggy and either doesn't work well for Internet connections, or handles bad signals worse than when Bridge Mide is on?

Last nite: according to Comcast support tech, any of the 4 ports will work in Bridge Mode. He said it does NOT have to be port 1 only. But agreed w EG above assessment that my port 1 is probably bad.

More on Sat if things get fixed. The cynic in me says 50-50 chance. :-)
Diamond Problem Solver

Were it a general connection problem with the CC system, it would affect either mode..

In bridge mode, only port # 1 is supposed to be active. The other ports are no longer needed as it no longer acts as a router. It only needs one port active as it emulates a straight cable modem / layer 2 bridge.

Frequent Visitor

Agreed on affecting either mode, which is what makes me very suspicious. Coincidence that signal starts going bad the same time or shortly after I start messing w bridge mode? W last name of Murphy, I don't believe it :-)
Another side note, whatever the problem, TV and phone are not affected.