Community Forum

Echo Dot Connection to Xfinity Wifi

New Poster

Echo Dot Connection to Xfinity Wifi

I have been on Amazon support twice in the last two days for almost 6 hours, trying to figure out why my Echo Dot won't connect to my Wifi.  I can get it connected to Amazon - xxx, but when I try to connect it to my home wifi it is not working.  Now, after 6 hours, they, Amazon, are suggesting that it's a firewall issue?  Something about certain ports needing to be open?  I can't believe this would be an issue, but if it is, how do I determine if the necessary ports are open?

New Poster

Re: Echo Dot Connection to Xfinity Wifi

Hi, Hope this helps. I had to use my Chromebook to connect to the wifi...But, I believe it will work on your phone as well. Make sure you scan on whatever device you are setting the "Alexa" app  on...(we use that name, so it's in all my devices that way) 1st and MOST IMPORTANT..make sure it's glowing Orange... I had to reset it twice, as we were adding wifi extenders ...(push the dot button down for a count of 6..it should then start glowing, and tell you its ready to connect)

2nd.pick the Amazon-listed wifi connection your device, then it will tell you to pick your wifi connection...

3.pick your wifi and type in the password. **if you still have an issue, click on the highlighted router link...it should direct you to the Comcast site, type in Comcast account username and password......we had to do that once, as well...

**the biggest issue we had was the Xfinity 'free' wifi kept trying to take over. So, once I had the network I wanted, I put it as preferred.

we also use a TP-Link extender, and a Net gear... our house has dead zones that make us crazy..lol, But... BOTH had to be connected manually...the WPS button would NOT connect either.

Hope this helps..., my son-in-law hooked our Echo/Alexa up... and somehow the device got listed, all under his name...THAT TOOK 3 HOURS WITH AMAZON TO FIX...So, I feel your pain...