Community Forum

Dynamic IP hasn't changed in at least a year

New Poster

Dynamic IP hasn't changed in at least a year

My dynamic IP seems to actually be static and hasn't changed in a long time. I've tried resetting my modem, but it doesn't seem to work. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've got a third party modem, but I had the same issue with my modem from Comcast.

Expert

Re: Dynamic IP hasn't changed in at least a year

Do you mean your public IP Address?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@6264401 wrote:

Does anyone know how to fix this? I've got a third party modem, but I had the same issue with my modem from Comcast.

Why do you think that it needs to be "fixed" ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I use a service which relies on geolocation, and it isn't functioning properly (it shows me as being across the country on the opposite coast). The IP address given by my mobile carrier when using mobile data has a correct location, while my IP address from Comcast is incorrect. I'm attempting to get a new IP to fix this. 

Expert

For the geolocation service that it uses, are you able to report inaccurate data? What about the router, does it have the feature the EG asked about?

Expert

If you are using a router that has a MAC address cloning feature, you can clone a different MAC address in to it. This will force their DHCP server to assign a new / different public IP address to your connection. Be advised that the new address may be from the same block and may still suffer from the same incorrect geolocation data.