Community Forum

Dual router needed to add VPN

New Poster

Dual router needed to add VPN

I replaced my Xfinity router with an Arris SVG2482AC modem router with telephone. All works well. Now I want to add VPN but the Arris doesn't support 'OpenVPN'. I was told my best solution is to add a 2nd router that can accept NordVPN.

1st question - How do I do that?   2nd question - Will it slow down my internet?   3rd question - Will 2 routers make the system an electronic nightmare? H E L P !

Anthony A. Longo
Expert

Re: Dual router needed to add VPN

@ProBowler2 wrote:

I replaced my Xfinity router with an Arris SVG2482AC modem router with telephone. All works well. Now I want to add VPN but the Arris doesn't support 'OpenVPN'. I was told my best solution is to add a 2nd router that can accept NordVPN.

1st question - How do I do that?   2nd question - Will it slow down my internet?   3rd question - Will 2 routers make the system an electronic nightmare? H E L P !

1. Set your SVG2482AC to Bridge Mode, then connect your own personal router to it. 
  2. If done right, it won't. 
  3. If done right, it should be ok, but it's certainly going to make your system a lot more complicated than it should be. (I have an ASUS RT-AC88U and an Apple Airport Extreme 6th Gen on my network) Personally I'd return that Arris gateway and get a separate eMTA modem like the Netgear CM500V and a standalone router that will fill your needs.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!