Community Forum

Dropping VPN every hour (Net Neutrality?)

Expert

Re: Dropping VPN every hour (Net Neutrality?)

@vpaul1979 wrote:

Is there any headway with the XB3? I have a user I support that has a lot of smart devices (TV, appliances, etc) on top of the typical phones and PCs. Its going to be a nightmare to replace the modem and have to reconnect/reconfigure everything. Is there going to be a firmware patch for the XB3 that will resolve the issue? Or is going to the XB6 the only option?

Since both the XB3 and XB6 are Xfinity xFi supported, the settings will automatically migrate from the XB3 to the XB6 should the user decide to upgrade. Make sure to use the Xfinity xFi App or the online activation process to activate the XB6:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-to-Self-Install-and-Activate-Your-Internet/ta-p/...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

I don't know if this has been tried yet, but given we're dealing with a residential gateway here, this solution might work.

Also, according to this link, there might be an issue with the built in Xfinity Hotspot in the leased XB3 gateways. You can turn off the feature by using these instructions

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

FYI for anyone new coming across this issue. I have an XB6 modem/router combo, since moving and getting the new equipment my VPN constantly dropped and often times would fail to ping resources entirely. 

Comcast support was no help and seemed to have no idea at all what to test and showed little to no effort to help troubleshoot the issue. 

I managed to fix the issue, log into your router config at 10.0.0.1, find your connected device using VPN, get it a reserved IP address.  This completely resolved my issue and I haven't had issues since.