Community Forum

Dropping VPN every hour (Net Neutrality?)

Frequent Visitor

Re: Dropping VPN every hour (Net Neutrality?)

I placed the IP of the device that was lossing connection hourly to the DMZ zone and it did not work. I still saw the connection dropping.

Regular Visitor

My name is <Removing personal information> and I need help replacing my modem please.  I don't know if I have the XB3 & XB6.  Most likely the XB3.  Can you help?

Voice and Data Modem
ARRIS Group, Inc. TG1682G
Serial #: 18B81FB53FF7
Used: 41GB

Official Employee

RandyWine - Thank you for reaching out here! This article provides more information regarding the modem's DMZ. Send me a PM with your first and last name if you're still running into issues, and I'd be happy to help. 

vpaul1979 - I can help troubleshoot this further. Can you please send me a PM as well with your first and last name? Thanks! 

lynnygould - Welcome to the forum. Let's take a look at the account to see what options are available to help. To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Looking forward to hearing back from each of you in a PM! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Hello, I am also having issues with the VPN dropping multiple times throughout the day for the last 3 weeks.  Can you please assist me with this problem?

Official Employee

Hello, taketothesky79 - 

A temporary workaround is to place the affected client in the XB3's DMZ. If you still need assistance, please send me a PM with your first and last name! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@vpaul1979 wrote:

I placed the IP of the device that was lossing connection hourly to the DMZ zone and it did not work. I still saw the connection dropping.

Did you reboot both the gateway and the device in question afterwards?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I did not reboot the router. I rebooted the router and will monitor. I am more interested in a permanent fix as I dont like the idea of using a DMZ. 

ComcastAlly, can you provide a "date for the date"?  Which means on a specific date you can provide to the community the delivery date for a permanent fix. This gives you time to research an accountable answer.

New Poster

I am an IT Manager at a 40,000 user company and all off our comcast users are expeirienceing this issue using Cisco Any Connect VPN. Issues occur every hour on the hour for most folks reporting the issue. The exceptions appear to be anyone who provides their own modem.

Comcast - can you please provide business a way to escalate this? It is seriously hampering productivity of remote/home based workers and in some cases damaging the credibility of companies when workers can not maintain phone calls or online/web conferences with customers.

New Poster

I am a work from home IT employee and I am having the exact same issue with Avaya phones connected VPN to a Cisco ASA. The phone on my Comcast home is dropping the VPN connection every hour on the hour. I could set me watch to it! Is there a fix for this Comcast please? ATT is looking better and better for my home internet service every day.

Regular Visitor

Just noting in here that I have the same issues.  Hoping to find a solution or way to get the update needed for my router.

Official Employee

@RA1385 wrote:

I am an IT Manager at a 40,000 user company and all off our comcast users are expeirienceing this issue using Cisco Any Connect VPN. Issues occur every hour on the hour for most folks reporting the issue. The exceptions appear to be anyone who provides their own modem.

Comcast - can you please provide business a way to escalate this? It is seriously hampering productivity of remote/home based workers and in some cases damaging the credibility of companies when workers can not maintain phone calls or online/web conferences with customers.

@RA1385, an issue on the XB3 gateway has already been identified and we (other groups, not me, just for the sake of clarity) are working on a permanent fix in an expedited timeframe via firmware patch. I've heard that a temporary workaround is to place the affected client into the DMZ of the XB3 gateway. 

New Poster

That is a great option for folks who are technical enough to make that change. That is not an option for the majority of my end user population.

Regular Visitor

DMZ mode is not a workaround. It's a very unsafe means of connecting as this will leave every device in the household comprimized. Port forwarding each users modem is the better workaround.

For those of you reading this Cisco uses the port 443.

Come on comcast! Get to the bottom of this!

New Poster

I think it is an IPv6 issue. Today when I had the issue and tried to force a reconnect I got the error in the attachment.

Cisco AnyConnect error.PNG
Regular Visitor

Hello @ComcastAlly

I have the very same problem with my Cisco Anyconnect not detecting as an actual disconnect, and still thinks that it is connected, everything just stops working until I manually disconnect and reconnect.

I have the XB3 modem, what I need to do? requeste a new modem? Do you have a name for this tech issue to request the new modem to the call center? I dont know what is or how to do the DMZ workaround

I can't send you a PM since I'm new in the forum and according to forum guidelines I'm not allowed to do so

Thanks

@ComcastAlly wrote:

Hello, taketothesky79 - 

A temporary workaround is to place the affected client in the XB3's DMZ. If you still need assistance, please send me a PM with your first and last name! 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Regular Visitor

I've been having this issue for a really long time. I thought it was just me. I have the following modem:

Model: TG1682G
Vendor: ARRIS Group, Inc.
Hardware Revision: 9.0
Serial Number: F7TBUT69A939781

This unit is under lease and, in my opinion, should replaced.  The representatives on the phone wanted to send a tech out. I felt unsafe about this because they could not access the logs or provide me with downtime reports. This seems to be disabled on this modem as well.  As an old support tech - I am not going to pay someone to diagnose a system without the tools to do so.... especially when the issue needs to be replicated under a specific scenario. Inspecting logs is trouble-shooting 101.

ComcastAlly - can you help?
Expert

@RA1385 wrote:

That is a great option for folks who are technical enough to make that change. That is not an option for the majority of my end user population.

Until Comcast manages to come up with a permanent solution in the firmware, they're gonna have to learn how to do this. If anything, they need to log into the gateway to change the default password so it can't be compromised that way. 

This is how to put a device into the DMZ:

1. Using a device connected to your Wireless Gateway home network, open a web browser and go to the Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1
  2. Enter the default username and password:
    • Username: admin
    • Password: password (case sensitive)
    • Note: If you previously changed your Admin Tool password, use the new password to log in.
      Admin Tool Login Screen with Username and Password fields in the middle and Login button at the bottom.

3. From the left-hand column, select Connected Devices > Computers. Identify the device you wish to place into the DMZ, and copy the IP address. 
  4. Next go to Advanced > DMZ, click Enable , enter the IP address you just copied into that field, then click Save
  5. Restart the gateway if you're not prompted to. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Your not seriously recommending that people bypass their firewalls?

This is an older modem that is on lease as well? I don't pay for broken...

Expert

@Grstaka wrote:

Your not seriously recommending that people bypass their firewalls?

This is an older modem that is on lease as well? I don't pay for broken...

If you're running Windows, you have Windows Firewall. If it's not already turned on, turn it on. (It's turned on by default. ) Same with MacOS, although typically it's turned off by default. 

You don't need two firewalls in your system, one will do just fine. In fact, two will cause problems with connectivity. 

And if you don't like to "pay for broken", here's a recommendation - buy your own modem and router.

You'll make up the difference in cost in a year after you factor in the savings from the rental fees, which is what, $11/mo now? Plus,  having your own router will let you configure your network easier, especially if you're running VPNs, game sessions and servers. Depending on the model, you can add certain features like Link Aggregation so you can run a local NAS that supports it, monitor your LAN traffic for data use, and so on. 

I've been running my own modem and router for 6 months now, and I can't imagine going back at this point. If you're serious about doing this, go to https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com to shop for compatible devices for your network and your speed tier. 

Frequent Visitor

Any update from ComcastJohnN?

VPN devices such as my Avaya phone do not have firewalls. Putting them on the DMZ can allow a good hacker to tunnel right into my business network. There is a firewall on that end, but its still a discomforting workaround. I like the xFi feature that allowed me to turn off devices using the phone app. Having 2 kids with tablets, thats worth $11 to me. I dont like to pay for broken either, but am waiting patiently and anxiously for a permanent fix.

Frequent Visitor

Do we have an ETA on the firmware fix as of yet? 

The DMZ trick is nice, but the bulk of the folks report either failure setting it up (these are not Network engineers so they really have no clue) or it doesn't completely resolve the issue. 

Thanks

Bob

Frequent Visitor

I'd like to echo the recent postings from vpaul1979 and bsavery247.

My connection issues are with an Avaya phone, putting this out on the open Internet doesn't seem appropriate.  I suspect I would be in violation of company policy should I do so.

Some of the recent posts have asked for an update from Comcast.  I doubt we can get a specific date, I assume the update will come model-by-model for each XB3 modem.  I also assume it may need to be rolled out market-by-market.  But knowing if we are weeks vs. months away from a solution might provide some guidance to help us make informed decisions - do we wait or take some other kind of action.  How about it Comcast?

I appreciate the suggestions and ongoing dialogue from darkangelic.  I can only assume that his guidance has helped some get onto the DMZ that weren't sure how.  Perhaps others have taken his advice and gone the purchase route vs. continuing to lease a modem.

I'm torn on the purchase topic.  My current cable modem is a telephony modem and also provides 802.11ac WiFi.  While I can get a cable modem with telephony support for the $120 darkangelic is suggesting, the only model I found doesn't include WiFi support.  To get a router with 802.11ac WiFi support will cost more.  The only cable modems I found that support my Internet speed, telephony, and WiFi are more in the $250 range, so it's a 2-year period to recoup my purchase.  If I upgrade my Internet speed, I believe I'll need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, and then my DOCSIS 3.0 modem would have to be replaced.

I do have an older 802.11n router kicking around, and if it's going to take Comcast months to fix this, I might put my current cable modem into bridge mode and connect my phone to the older router.  There might even be a way for me to use wired connections from my older router through the cable modem while maintaining the faster WiFi speed, I'm going to look into that as well.

And I'll close by saying that yes, my WiFi speeds picked up considerably running speed tests with the faster ac modem when I first moved over to it.  I do own a number of WiFi devices that are compatible with 802.11ac.

New Poster

For us, VPN dropped every few minutes. We switched to use xfinity modem/router and it only speed up recovery speed. The on and off interruption drove us crazy. We use Mac Pro. Does anyone know how to improve this? If not, we probably should consider drop xfinity all together. Thanks.
Expert

@rdmcclintock wrote:

I appreciate the suggestions and ongoing dialogue from darkangelic.  I can only assume that his guidance has helped some get onto the DMZ that weren't sure how.  Perhaps others have taken his advice and gone the purchase route vs. continuing to lease a modem.

Thanks, but at this particular point I don't have anything else to contribute - I'm just gonna have to let everyone decide for themselves what the best course of action is that they see fit. 

As for my own setup, I have an ARRIS SB8200 (for Gigabit Internet) modem, a TM722G (for voice only) modem, and an ASUS RT-AC88U router. Not ideal, but as there aren't any available retail gigabit modems with voice support, I had to go this route. Works pretty well too. 

Frequent Visitor

Any update on the firmware fix? 

New Poster

I do not have the XB3 modem and have the exact same issue since the first part of August. I have taken my modem in to have it replaced or upgraded but due to my service I can only get a UA version modem. I have manually configured port forwarding on the modem to prevent the vpn phone from disconnecting every hour but voice quality is poor. On my work laptop connecting to VPN I run a continuous ping to not get dropped. A technician came to our house replaced form connectors and then ordered a new line to be installed. None of these steps have resolved my issue
Expert

@Marie53 wrote:
I do not have the XB3 modem and have the exact same issue since the first part of August. I have taken my modem in to have it replaced or upgraded but due to my service I can only get a UA version modem. I have manually configured port forwarding on the modem to prevent the vpn phone from disconnecting every hour but voice quality is poor. On my work laptop connecting to VPN I run a continuous ping to not get dropped. A technician came to our house replaced form connectors and then ordered a new line to be installed. None of these steps have resolved my issue

It would be helpful if you told us exactly what your modem is. (UA version? What's that?)

New Poster

here is my gateway information from the Xfi app:

Model name:     TG1682G

Vendor:                Arris Group Inc

Revision:              12

Firmware:  TG1682_3.1p6si_PROD-sey

New Poster

the UA information came from the local office when I took my router in to be upgraded.  the server tech that came to our home said I needed the "XB" modem but the local office stated my service did not qualify for that modem and they gave me what they called a "UA" modem and that is also what is on my receipt

Expert

@Marie53 wrote:

here is my gateway information from the Xfi app:

Model name:     TG1682G

Vendor:                Arris Group Inc

Revision:              12

Firmware:  TG1682_3.1p6si_PROD-sey

The TG1682G is one of the models listed under the XB3 Gateway series, so your model is officially an XB3.... so you're in the same boat, it seems, as everyone else affected.

@Marie53 wrote:

the UA information came from the local office when I took my router in to be upgraded.  the server tech that came to our home said I needed the "XB" modem but the local office stated my service did not qualify for that modem and they gave me what they called a "UA" modem and that is also what is on my receipt

The only way to tell for sure if it's a variant model is to look at the bottom of the gateway and see what exact model number it is you got. 

New Poster

Mine is dropping about every 20 mins. This is so annoying.
New Poster

Does Comcast have any ETA when they will release a fix and/or firmware update? This is impacting a lot of users. 

New Poster

Is there a KB article I can read on the issue?  I am having the same issues while on VPN with the newer xfi hardware, using Cisco AnyConnect.  The clients work fine for about an hour then the connections drop.  I am able to access any sites through a web browser that need VPN, however my RDP clients aren't able to connect to remote hosts that need to be accessed behind VPN.

Frequent Visitor

Hving same issues with Cisco IP VPN Phone and Cisco AnyConnect.  Drops regularly.  Moving phone to DMZ did not fix.  Comcast support not helpful.  When I escalated, the only suggestion was to get a different model router by upgrading to next level of service or by buying my own.  Frustrating.

350-user firm is moving users to work from home in California.  Many are having this issue.

Frequent Visitor

It is frustrating that a more official Comcast response has not been made to this thread.  I will add that for me, behavior has changed.  While I was losing my phone VPN connection almost every hour at the 58 minute mark if I was not on a current call, that is no longer happening for me.  I should note that my router did get a software update which seemed to tie in with improved (or at least different) behavior.

The behavior is not yet back to what it was.  I do now experience times when on a call where my audio goes dead on me.  Previously, I never had an issue if I was on an active call.  Now, I will have a period of time where I appear connected but have no audio, then the phone will go through a reconnection and I have a working phone again.

Frustrating.

Silver Problem Solver

@rdmcclintock wrote:

It is frustrating that a more official Comcast response has not been made to this thread.  I will add that for me, behavior has changed.  While I was losing my phone VPN connection almost every hour at the 58 minute mark if I was not on a current call, that is no longer happening for me.  I should note that my router did get a software update which seemed to tie in with improved (or at least different) behavior.

The behavior is not yet back to what it was.  I do now experience times when on a call where my audio goes dead on me.  Previously, I never had an issue if I was on an active call.  Now, I will have a period of time where I appear connected but have no audio, then the phone will go through a reconnection and I have a working phone again.

Frustrating.

I got a quick reply on Twitter.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I am another home user suffering this problem when telecommuting.  Also with CiscoAnyConnect and a XB3.  Some times it is occassional.  Yesterday I couldn't hold a connection for more than a few minutes.  It dropped hundreds of times.  I'm not comfortable using DMZ and expect Comcast to provide a real fix or at least a non security vulnerable work around.  

Does Comcast understand how many people are telecommuting now?

Frequent Visitor

"I got a quick reply on Twitter."

And??
Silver Problem Solver

@Tircuit wrote:
"I got a quick reply on Twitter."

And??

I apologize; I contacted Twitter on an issue unrelated to Internet and they walked me through the resoluton.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I'm having service updated for one user to
see if getting a different gateway fixes. This is not going to be a good solution for all users.

Cheaper might be to purchase our own gateways for users. Anyone have a recommendation?
New Poster

Hi, is there any update from Comcast regarding a resolution to this issue?

I have had a similar problem as described by the other posters.  Starting in late summer, my VPN connections would be disrupted once or twice per workday.  Generally the hiccups last for 40-60 minutes, and the timing seems to shift an hour earlier each day.  For example, if I'm knocked off from 9:20 to 10 on Monday, I tend to get knocked off from 8:20 to 9:00 on Tuesday.  That leads me to believe that this is some sort of scheduled routine, either on router or at the CO.

The disconnects impact both the Pulse VPN connection on my laptop, and the connection of my physical MiTel VPN phone.  My company has dozens of remote workers, and no one else is impacted (including one who also uses Xfinity's Gigabit service, as I do).

I end up switching to my Verizon MiFi device, which works flawlessly.  Unfortunately, that only works for my laptop, since the MiTel phone requires a POE connection.  The fact that a cellular device like MiFi is so much more reliable than Xfinity makes me question why I am paying Comcast for gigabit service.  Frustrating, to say the least...

Expert

Re: Dropping VPN every hour

@DAD98684 wrote:

Hi, is there any update from Comcast regarding a resolution to this issue?

I have had a similar problem as described by the other posters.  Starting in late summer, my VPN connections would be disrupted once or twice per workday.  Generally the hiccups last for 40-60 minutes, and the timing seems to shift an hour earlier each day.  For example, if I'm knocked off from 9:20 to 10 on Monday, I tend to get knocked off from 8:20 to 9:00 on Tuesday.  That leads me to believe that this is some sort of scheduled routine, either on router or at the CO.

The disconnects impact both the Pulse VPN connection on my laptop, and the connection of my physical MiTel VPN phone.  My company has dozens of remote workers, and no one else is impacted (including one who also uses Xfinity's Gigabit service, as I do).

I end up switching to my Verizon MiFi device, which works flawlessly.  Unfortunately, that only works for my laptop, since the MiTel phone requires a POE connection.  The fact that a cellular device like MiFi is so much more reliable than Xfinity makes me question why I am paying Comcast for gigabit service.  Frustrating, to say the least...

This may not be the same bug as you're not dropping conections every hour and you're on the Gigabit tier, which rules out the TG1682G gateway as the culprit. 

What internet hardware are you using? 

New Poster

Hi,

I’m using a rented TG3482G gateway from Comcast.  The big black monolith with a single status light that appears to be the only all in one device to have Xfinity gigabit class service with voice and WiFi.

thanks for responding!

Expert

@DAD98684 wrote:

Hi,

I’m using a rented TG3482G gateway from Comcast.  The big black monolith with a single status light that appears to be the only all in one device to have Xfinity gigabit class service with voice and WiFi.

thanks for responding!

If you can, try swapping that device out for the newer model, the Technicolor made CGM4140COM (same XB6 design, just different hardware under the hood). Your local Comcast store might have some in stock, or we can arrange for that swap here. (Obviously you can get one sooner if you pick it up from the store). 

I used to have the TG3482G but I wound up changing it because of continuous issues wtih latency jitter,  and packet drops, which seems to tie into my working theory that the Intel Puma chipsets in the ARRIS gateways are the culprit for all the issues with VPNs.

As for the underlying issue... as soon as I get any word from the engineering people, I'll make sure to post it here. 

New Poster

Thanks for the recommendation!  I'll swap at the Verizon store.

New Poster

You nailed the diagnosis, DarkAngelic!  I swapped out Arris for the Technicolor-made XB6 gateway on Saturday, and I haven't had a single VPN problem since then. 

Hopefully Comcast can force Arris into taking back their lemon gateways so Xfinity cuistomers don't have to deal with these latency issues.

Thanks so much for your advice, and problem-solving!

New Poster

As another data point, I too was experiencing my work VOIP phone resetting every hour on the hour and had a XB3 gateway.  I previously tried to put the phone in the DMZ without any change in reset behavior.  I then purchased my own modem (Netgear CM1150V) and installed it this morning.  So far I have not had any resets of my VOIP phone.  Good luck to others dealing with this issue!

Expert

@Varney wrote:

As another data point, I too was experiencing my work VOIP phone resetting every hour on the hour and had a XB3 gateway.  I previously tried to put the phone in the DMZ without any change in reset behavior.  I then purchased my own modem (Netgear CM1150V) and installed it this morning.  So far I have not had any resets of my VOIP phone.  Good luck to others dealing with this issue!

The CM1150V is great, I've been using one for over a month now. 

Did you have the XB3 in bridge mode with a personal router when you had it, or was it functioning as a standalone gateway? And what router do you have with your current CM1150V ? 

Frequent Visitor

Is there any headway with the XB3? I have a user I support that has a lot of smart devices (TV, appliances, etc) on top of the typical phones and PCs. Its going to be a nightmare to replace the modem and have to reconnect/reconfigure everything. Is there going to be a firmware patch for the XB3 that will resolve the issue? Or is going to the XB6 the only option?

Silver Problem Solver

@vpaul1979 wrote:

Is there any headway with the XB3? I have a user I support that has a lot of smart devices (TV, appliances, etc) on top of the typical phones and PCs. Its going to be a nightmare to replace the modem and have to reconnect/reconfigure everything. Is there going to be a firmware patch for the XB3 that will resolve the issue? Or is going to the XB6 the only option?

FYI, when I replaced my XB3 with the XB6, I just changed the XB6 SSID/passwords to match what I was using with the XB3 and didn't have to do anything with my 20+ wifi devices.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/view-change-wifi-password