Community Forum

Dropped speeds, pole line work interupts, company denying obvious work & system resets

Frequent Visitor

Dropped speeds, pole line work interupts, company denying obvious work & system resets

It is rather irritating to watch your modem reset in the middle of the day, then calling the comcast office and they deny any reset or work on the lines. I know it is not a spirit or ghost resetting the modem and it just doesn't reset itself, so why the secrecy of apparent work being done on lines? Strangely ever since they started reseting the modem for 2 weeks now, I have watched the speed drop from 150Mbps to 88Mbps and without a notice of line work given.

I like to know why lines are not tested after or during line work is being done so customers are not being cheated out of their contract  speeds. If I was not not on top of the speed checking, I would have no idea that work on lines has dropped my internet speed almost in half. Is this regular occurance with Xfinity/Comcast to treat their customers so disrespectful to not even warn them of possible slowing down of interent speeds. All due to line work somewhere down the cables on the poles? Personally, it seems to me that they do this in hopes that a customer does not check the line speed and they can get away with reduced speeds, but still charge the same amount.

I believe to keep the cable companies honest with their customers, a cable meter should be attached to the line measuring the power used by the customer just like incoming utility pole power is measured. If the power is reduced or speeds are reduced, this meter would adjust the billing as required to maintain an honest relationship with this greedy cable company.

In my opinion, customer lines should be checked to make sure they are getting what they pay for and not left up to the customer to check if the cable company is knowingly causing a deterioration on line speeds. The pole lines are the responsibility of the company that charges you, right up to the entrance the line makes into your home. Customers are responsible for the line from the incoming pole line connection to your modem or router.

Customers beware of your connection and speeds you pay for in your contracts. If you are not getting your proper speeds, it is a bridge of contract and you are allowed to be reimbursed for the entire time you have not had contract speeds or other services quality.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Dropped speeds, pole line work interupts, company denying obvious work & system resets

@Bradmph wrote:

It is rather irritating to watch your modem reset in the middle of the day, then calling the comcast office and they deny any reset or work on the lines. I know it is not a spirit or ghost resetting the modem and it just doesn't reset itself, so why the secrecy of apparent work being done on lines? 

As an FYI, sure it can. Modems can re-boot spontaneously if there are line / RF signal problems / out of spec. 

Start here if you like;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Connection-Troubleshooting-Tips/m-p/1253575#M94474

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Information-Requested-for-Connection-Related-Posts/m...