Community Forum

Download speeds IPv4 vs IPv6 - educate me please!

New Poster

Download speeds IPv4 vs IPv6 - educate me please!

Equipment: Modem - Arris SB6190 Router - Linksys AC2600

I recently upgraded to the Extreme Pro, previously on Blast. Previously I had noticed some degredation in my service, so while I was on the phone I asked to have my info checked. Based on some helpful info from this community I asked to have it reprovisioned, my file checked, etc. The rep told me nothing should have changed back when I changed plans because they only change rate codes. She did send a reset to see if it would help. Later that day I called for tech support. He stated he would have to send someone out because he could not send a download.

Sorry to if I am being lenghty, but here is some background. Back in July while on Blast (150mbps) I was getting 116mbps down, 12 up with 22ms pings. It dropped off significantly in October to 34 down, 12 up 22 ping. I think only ran one test so it could have been a fluke. A few days ago, it dropped to 13 down, 21 up, 24 ping. With the newer speed test available on Xfinity, testing separately IPv4 from IPv6, I see significantly different speeds. I also chose various sites to test. I also had someone else do a speed test, different ISP, but the same location, and they were getting the correct speeds. With IPv4 I get a max 13 down, as high as 28 up with 30-36 ms pings. When I changed the test location, the futher away I chose, I saw faster results. I usually start with the Area IV, IL location. These last results are based upon multiple tests before I switched from Blast to Extreme. Using my phone and then also using my computer which is hard-wired to my modem. With IPv6 I am seeing it hit over 430mbps down, with the final result being in the 300 range down, 25 up with 21ms ping. One other note, when I initially checked my modem, there was only one upstream channel. 

Yesterday a tech came out, changed a fitting inside, as well as a wallplate. He also changed fittings at the box and the splitter at the house. The Health Test he did when he initially got here was within Xfinity parameters. After the inside changes he made it the Health Test did improve a little. Line testing showed no significant noise in or out. After he changed the fitting inside, all four upstream channels are available.

What I am seeking info about is: Why do my speeds vary so widely between IPv4 and IPv6? Am I truly seeing the speeds I should be seeing despite the numbers? The speedtest app on my phone and his do not let up choose between IPv4 or IPv6 like the web based one does. On our phones we saw and I still see, only 13mbps down, 24mbps up, mid to high 20s ping. Am I to assume the apps are only showing the IPv4 and not the IPv6?

While he was here we tried to max the service out as much as we could to test things. I loaded up a 4K YouTube video streamed wirelessly on my TV, he ran a speed test, I had a movie playing on my iPad and I was playing music on Spotify on my phone. The 4k video buffered once for maybe 10 seconds. Nothing else lagged during the 2-3 minute test we did.

Any thoughts, tips or ideas you have would be greatly appreciated!

Patty

New Poster

Re: Download speeds IPv4 vs IPv6 - educate me please!

This isn't an answer to your question, just a comment regarding the tech that came out to help. I've never had a tech be so, well, so utterly helpful and willing to actually spend the time with you testing out your wifi with you. You're fortunate for that fact alone. I'll be checking this out because if using strictly IPv6 is that much faster, and my speeds have always been far lower than what i pay for, i'm going to have to abandon IPv4 whenever possible, which should be most of the time.

Official Employee

juatagrl and intr0, thanks for posting about your experiences with ipv6 speedtests! I've noticed this myself on my own personal experience. The biggest difference in latency between the two protocol would come from its path. Have you ever tried running speedtest via https://www.speedtest.net/? You can run an ipv6 or an ipv4 speedtest and the different between the two comes from the traceroute itself. I live in Philly and when I run a test here, I see fewer and closer hops on the speedtest via ipv6 than ipv4. I would place my bet on the difference in speeds from that. 

Additionally, it sounds like the tech was excellent! I would also place the work they did to replace the fittings, and address signal flux in your home by replacing the splitter and other components probably helped balance out the levels and improve speeds there as well. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

@intr0 wrote:

i'm going to have to abandon IPv4 whenever possible, which should be most of the time.

FWIW, not everything on the net supports IPv6 yet. YMMV. And FWIW, I wonder if the OP is still around ? This thread is from last January.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!