Community Forum

Download Speed

New Poster

Download Speed

I know this probably gets brought up a lot, but it’s to the point I’m all but certain there is deliberate action to slow down our connection. We have the basic 10mbps plan. I used to be able to watch videos no problem. Comcast speedtest has us at about 9mbps—this is very misleading. Every other speed test (3 others) puts us at about 1mbps or even less. Takes several minutes to download a 10 megs. Often the browser just spins.

We just installed a new modem last month and it did nothing. We have the Apple airport router. I’m verifying the speeds every day with multiple services and it definitely is not even close—feel like I’m being scammed 

Regular Contributor

Re: Download Speed

Power down the modem, grab an Ethernet cable, power up the modem and let it sync.  Run your speed test from that connection and see what kind of difference it makes.  If it's still 1MB then there could be a line issue or something but, if you get the 10MB then it's the router.  

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Download Speed

gogunks wrote:

Comcast speedtest has us at about 9mbps—this is very misleading. Every other speed test (3 others) puts us at about 1mbps or even less.  

FWIW, the reason that their *in house" speed tests show faster speed is because their speed testing servers lie on *their* network's edge, therefore they are not subject to any third party's potential backbone deficiencies / routing deficiencies / distance related latency issues etc;