Community Forum

Downgraded to internet only now router is rebooting daily

Frequent Visitor

Downgraded to internet only now router is rebooting daily

The day after dropping my cable package and going internet only I started getting frequent connectivity drops and daily router reboots. I have a netgear c6300 modem router combo and have performed multiple powercycles, reboots and factory resets. In troubleshooting I am seeing the following error in my logs "CheckDmgProvision dmg_provisioning process is not running, need to restart.", and there seems to be corresponding ICMP floods in the even logs each time "DoS attack] ICMP Flood from fe80:0000:0000:0000:1a8b:9dff:fed3:bc2". FYI i have checked all my devices and nothing corresponds to this address, research shows others with similar issues that suggest it might be on the ISP side. I also see this error at times "Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out".

FYI: My 4 upstream channels are bonded w/power listed between 44.0-44.5 dBmV - Ive checked throughout the day the past few days and its been pretty consistent. I also noticed the the firmware for the modem is listed as V3.01.12, whereas the netgear site lists the most current firmware as V3.01.09 (comcast deployed). I am not sure which is the correct Firmware at this point but thought I would mention the discrepency.

I work from home and have had flawless connectivity the past few years. This issue with connectivity dropping and daily reboots started happening the day after I made changes to my account and dropped cable - my internet package/speed should have remained the same. I am wondering if my equipment needs to be re-associated with my account? Or if anybody has other suggestions. I did go through the activation process after I factory reset the router, but I am still experiencing router reboots as of last night.

Any help in tracking down these issues is much appreciated.

Expert

Re: Downgraded to internet only now router is rebooting daily

What do the downstream power levels and the SNR's look like ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Here's the current snapshot:

Procedure Status Comment
Acquire Downstream Channel 513000000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State Ok Operational
Boot State Ok Operational
Security Enabled BPI+
IP Provisioning Mode Honor MDD honorMdd(4)

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables UnCorrectables
1 Locked QAM 256 1 483000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 40.9 dB 12182 1225
2 Locked QAM 256 2 489000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 40.3 dB 11688 1207
3 Locked QAM 256 3 495000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 40.9 dB 13304 1524
4 Locked QAM 256 4 507000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 40.9 dB 7919 1089
5 Locked QAM 256 5 513000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 40.9 dB 9764 1185
6 Locked QAM 256 6 519000000 Hz 6.6 dBmV 40.9 dB 9284 180
7 Locked QAM 256 7 525000000 Hz 6.5 dBmV 40.3 dB 10267 189
8 Locked QAM 256 8 531000000 Hz 6.8 dBmV 40.9 dB 12698 2011
9 Locked QAM 256 9 543000000 Hz 7.3 dBmV 40.9 dB 9329 200
10 Locked QAM 256 10 549000000 Hz 7.3 dBmV 40.9 dB 9355 1049
11 Locked QAM 256 11 555000000 Hz 7.3 dBmV 40.9 dB 9243 1110
12 Locked QAM 256 12 561000000 Hz 7.5 dBmV 40.9 dB 8572 1022
13 Locked QAM 256 13 567000000 Hz 7.6 dBmV 40.9 dB 8075 2020
14 Locked QAM 256 14 573000000 Hz 7.6 dBmV 40.9 dB 6453 1067
15 Locked QAM 256 15 579000000 Hz 7.4 dBmV 40.9 dB 5529 1042
16 Locked QAM 256 16 585000000 Hz 7.0 dBmV 40.3 dB 4478 1120

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 Ksym/sec 17300000 Hz 44.0 dBmV
2 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 Ksym/sec 23700000 Hz 44.5 dBmV
3 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 Ksym/sec 30100000 Hz 44.5 dBmV
4 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 Ksym/sec 36500000 Hz 44.5 dBmV

Current System Time: Sun Jun 16 08:36:41 2019
System Up Time: 14:56:00
Frequent Visitor

Also I should mention I have one main line running from the box outside and that is plugged directly into the back of the mode/router. Let me know if you have any more questions to help troubleshoot.

Thanks again!

Expert

Power levels and SNR's look o/k. See if any of the info here applies / helps;

https://www.google.com/search?q=CheckDmgProvision+dmg_provisioning+process+is+not+running&rlz=1C1SQJ...

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

hmmm, I saw similar responses on netgear support site, and there's this thread and with the last response that stands out:

"I recommend you guys contact your ISP. They have control over how this modem gets associated with there sysetm. Have them look in to there logs. "

I have run comcasts troubleshooting tool via the mobile app but it's sounding like I need to get in touch with comcast customer/tech support to have them look at things on their end. Do they check these support forums or do I need to contact support directly?

Thanks again for your help.

Expert

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Awesome! thanks for helping me troubleshoot thus far.

As an FYI to you/others: I noticed in the mobile app that there is a note of scheduled maintenance for my area tomorrow early morning. Perhaps that might resolve the recent hiccups.

Thanks again for your time Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Good morning, BadTechSupport. Thank you for posting here in the community to seek assistance with your internet connectivity concerns. I know these types of issues especially can be extremely frustrating. The maintenance that took place in your area recently can absolutely impact the health of your connection at any given time that it's going on. It sounds like there may have been issues in your area that we were already aware of, which is why the maintenance took place. It really depends though, I will have to take a look at your account to check what all has been going on with your device and in your area. How have things been with your internet since yesterday? It's probably too soon to tell. 

Go ahead and send me a private message if you will please and include your name so I can look into this for you. To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

I look forward to working with you on this. Thank you. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for responding. I can see in the routers event logs that my modem went offline briefly during the maintenance window and everything was online and functioning as expected when I checked in this morning.  The router reboots I have been experiencing the past two weeks are random but so far so good. I'll keep logging in hourly to check the router logs and event logs so see if anything pops up, and in the meantime I'll private message you to see how things check out on your end.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Official Employee

Checking it every so often if you have the time is perfectly fine. That sounds like a plan. We'll likely need to keep an eye on it for about 7 days or so though, just to get a good idea of stability. I have replied to your private message. Thank you! 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

I ended up not hearing back from you, BadTechSupport. I have completed the interaction. If you end up needing further support with this, please reply to my most recent PM. Thanks for your time!