Community Forum

Does Gateway 3 support Bridge mode from the AMIN account ????

Frequent Visitor

Does Gateway 3 support Bridge mode from the AMIN account ????

I just want to be sure that if I swap out my Gateway 1 for a 3, I can enable Bridge mode by signing in to the ADMIN account on the Gateway? 

Do u know if I will have the same IP address which was assigned to the Gateway 1?

thanks,

Phil

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Does Gateway 3 support Bridge mode from the AMIN account ????

@Phast1 wrote:

I just want to be sure that if I swap out my Gateway 1 for a 3, I can enable Bridge mode by signing in to the ADMIN account on the Gateway? 

Do u know if I will have the same IP address which was assigned to the Gateway 1?

thanks,

Phil

I have gone from a Gateway 1 all the way to the latest Gateway 6.  Admin has worked every 0time.  There is a web page for it.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/securing-wireless-gateway-network

Your public IP address will change.  (I think; I've never checked it)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Phast1 wrote:

The new gateway device will have a different MAC address which will force their DHCP server to assign a new WAN / public IP address to it. If you put it in to bridge mode and attach a stand-alone router, it will change yet again.

If you are talking about the access to the U.I. IP address, it will be the same 10.0.0.1

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

@Phast1 wrote:

The new gateway device will have a different MAC address which will force their DHCP server to assign a new WAN / public IP address to it. If you put it in to bridge mode and attach a stand-alone router, it will change yet again.

If you are talking about the access to the U.I. IP address, it will be the same 10.0.0.1

thanks for the HEADS UP, they just upped the EXTREME speed to 250mb/s in my community and my Gateway 1 is rated 150mb/s.  I have a lot of PORT forwarding, therefore use my own router and WiFi AP.  Also appreciate the note on the WAN IP - not a big deal, just extra time changing all my external devices.  AND, I'll have to do all over again when we convert to FIBER, we will be getting the XF3.  

Expert

@Phast1 wrote:

@EG wrote:

@Phast1 wrote:

thanks for the HEADS UP, they just upped the EXTREME speed to 250mb/s in my community and my Gateway 1 is rated 150mb/s.  I have a lot of PORT forwarding, therefore use my own router and WiFi AP.  Also appreciate the note on the WAN IP - not a big deal, just extra time changing all my external devices.  AND, I'll have to do all over again when we convert to FIBER, we will be getting the XF3.  

If you use your own router, why not just buy your own modem? At least you won't have to pay the extra $10/mo rental fee, and it'll pay for itself within six months to a year. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!