Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Does COMCAST support MOCA?

Contributor

Does COMCAST support MOCA?

My wireless will not reach into my upstairs room. I've tried every kind of wireless extender with no luck.

I bought two Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA Network Adapters. I also installed a POE filter outside on the cable coming in. Now it is like a wired network through my coax! Great speed!

However, if the power goes off or I happen to unplug one, they have trouble connecting. The 'coax' lights will not come on.

The last time this happened they just 'magically' started working again. I have tested them with a short length of coax and they are not defective.

I can only guess that the signal isn't strong or clean enough for them to get a 'lock'?

As I write this, they are not connecting and I am out of ideas. I accidentally unplugged one. They have been connected and working for months.

My house is basically split up cable-wise. I have a dedicated coax for the cablemodem. I have an upstairs section (where I have moca installed) and the downstairs section has the new X1 boxes.

Can a technician come out and troubleshoot the signal? Or am I out of luck?

Expert

Re: Does COMCAST support MOCA?

What's your splitter arrangement?  Confirm all splitters are 5-1000mhz.  There are special 3rd party MOCA splitters rated 5-1675mhz for homes with too much loss on the high end of the band, that might help.  Available online, Holland is one mfr.

If your having too much splitter loss, you might need to put in a 0 gain drop amp like this PPC model that is MOCA rated.

http://www.ppc-online.com/Products/Entry/entry-series-9-port-active-return.cfm

I've installed a dozen of these Actiontec MOCA adapters without issues.

Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I may have it figured out. I unplugged the X1 master and slave boxes downstairs. I then rebooted the actiontec's and they connected immediately. If X1 is the problem at least I know what to do now if I ever have to reboot the moca.

Expert

xedious wrote:

My wireless will not reach into my upstairs room. I've tried every kind of wireless extender with no luck.

I bought two Actiontec ECB2500C MoCA Network Adapters. I also installed a POE filter outside on the cable coming in. Now it is like a wired network through my coax! Great speed!

However, if the power goes off or I happen to unplug one, they have trouble connecting. The 'coax' lights will not come on.

The last time this happened they just 'magically' started working again. I have tested them with a short length of coax and they are not defective.

I can only guess that the signal isn't strong or clean enough for them to get a 'lock'?

As I write this, they are not connecting and I am out of ideas. I accidentally unplugged one. They have been connected and working for months.

My house is basically split up cable-wise. I have a dedicated coax for the cablemodem. I have an upstairs section (where I have moca installed) and the downstairs section has the new X1 boxes.

Can a technician come out and troubleshoot the signal? Or am I out of luck?

do you currently have comcast cable service and internet now with the X1 entertainment system?

Highlighted
Expert

Go into the Actiontec configuration on both adapters and change the channels with the configuration utility.

Oh, and don't loop any equipment through the 2nd coax port on the Actiontec adapters.  Use a 2-way splitter instead if you have more than one device on the coax from the wall jack.

Expert

the MoCA devices you bought are MoCA 1.1 (same as comcast) but of course not the same password. splitters for band D (for non fios cable) is used needs splitters to go to at least 1002 Ghz for MoCA 1.1.

After you got the 2 adapters working again, and plugged in your comcast equipment did they all work properly? Do you have an X1 DVR or any companion set top boxes like xi3 or xiD?

soon comcast is probably going to start phasing in MoCA 2.5 (2.5 GBs (not bit) real throughput as the DLNA has put some DRM requirements that only MoCA 2.5 implements. Those kind of specifications soon will be necessary for the continued streaming of content by the MSO like comcast to use.  current MoCA 1.1 is 'only' 128bit AES encryption with limited password length where MoCA 2.5 has a much longer possible password and stronger encryption.

Contributor

I was forced to get X1 installed a couple of months back because two of my set top boxes suddenly stopped working. You may not have seen my post where I unplugged the X1 boxes and moca came back. Does X1 send some interrupt signal or something? My next thing to try was setting the moca adaptors to a different frequency.

Contributor

Yes, everything is working now.

I don't have the X1 DVR yet. I still have the older one. I have no idea how upgrading to the X1 dvr will mess things up since my DVR is in the room I'm using the actiontec's for.

I have the bigger X1 box and a smaller one (I call it the slave because it depends? on the larger one being on the same branch of coax) downstairs.

Sorry if I'm using the incorrect terminology. And thanks to you both for the suggestions and education.

Expert

xedious wrote:

Yes, everything is working now.

I don't have the X1 DVR yet. I still have the older one. I have no idea how upgrading to the X1 dvr will mess things up since my DVR is in the room I'm using the actiontec's for.

I have the bigger X1 box and a smaller one (I call it the slave because it depends? on the larger one being on the same branch of coax) downstairs.

Sorry if I'm using the incorrect terminology. And thanks to you both for the suggestions and education.

we were told in some threads and some users have reported that TiVo (uses MoCA too) and X1 on same coax work well together. Guess we'll find out more if a comcast (red letter) person fills us in on the tech side of adding MoCA for internet/ethernet.

Expert