Community Forum

Docsis 3.1 for lowest speed Xfinity plan - AQM support ???

Frequent Visitor

Docsis 3.1 for lowest speed Xfinity plan - AQM support ???

So I've got the slowest service Xfinity offers 75 down and 5 up.

Wondering if Docsis 3.1 modem would be of any advantage (NOT SPEED obvioulsly) to me at this tier. I've read that the updated protocol has AQM. From AG's interwebs:

High bandwidth plans entirely miss the other major benefit of DOCSIS 3.1: active queue management. If - and this is a big if - your provider also supports DOCSIS 3.1, you will benefit from Active Queue Management. AQM is intended to solve bufferbloat, where network devices such as cable modems buffer data in an attempt to increase link ..... blah ......  (https://superuser.com/questions/1161874/is-there-a-reason-to-get-docsis-3-1-cable-modem-for-ones-hou...

So I guess the question should be does the lowest tier support AQM as I seem to recall that only the gigabit services offer this. 

Expert

Re: Docsis 3.1 for lowest speed Xfinity plan - AQM support ???

AQM is not yet offered from Comcast. Don't hold your breath either. What modem do you currently have ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I think I'm still rolling with an old  MOTOROLA SB6141 SURFboard. I know Xfinity EOLed it but if your read the fine print this is for their modems and I bought this myself so you can still use it. My speed seems fine and for $66 per month it's fine - just internet.

(Now if we compare it to my mother in laws plan in Germany she pays $30pm for phone, 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up and gets some cable channels you realize how much we are being ripped off in the good old US of A. )

Expert

Yes, I know. That's o/k for what you have unless you are having traffic congestion problems. We can't compare other countries to the U.S. here......

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!