Community Forum

[Docsis][1010]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Frequent Visitor

[Docsis][1010]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I've been looking at my logs for why our internet sometimes disconnects during the nights and some other points of some days, and these are one of the errors on the title of the forum thread. I'm not sure what it is. Can anybody here let me know what it means? Is it what I'm looking for? And how do I get the specs of my router just so we can fix this problem?

Expert

Re: [Docsis][1010]: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

T3 error meaning;

"3-Critical R2.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 timeout:

Explanation. The cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the CMTS. The cable modem is therefore resetting its cable interface and restarting the registration process. This typically is caused by noise on the upstream that causes the loss of MAC-layer messages. Noise could also lower the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) on the upstream to a point where the cable modem's power level is insufficient to transmit any messages. If the cable modem cannot raise its upstream transmit power level to a level that allows successful communication within the maximum timeout period, it resets its cable interface and restarts the registration process.
Recommended Action No action is needed if this is an occasional problem. Check the upstream transmit power for the cable modem to see if it is at or near the maximum allowable levels. Check the RF plant for cabling or connector issues that could generate sufficient noise to lose MAC-layer management messages."

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

downstream upstream 1.pngdownstream upstream 2.pngdownstream upstream 3.pngdownstream upstream 4.pngdownstream upstream 5.pngHere. Hopefully this is all the information you need. Not sure what SNR is though.

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Sorry about that, sir. Here's a Google Drive link to a ZIP file containing all the images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=15CGHpfgYF7GHTHoDc8b_OZxHvPNWxeib

Expert

The signal stats are good but there are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Thanks! I'll keep waiting for if I'm good or not!

Official Employee

Hi, 18SEVERLY. Thanks for posting. I will be happy to pull up your modem's diagnostic information on my end as well, which will involve me checking the device's report history for the disconnects that you're experiencing. I will also check the node that supplies service to your home. I did see the modem logs you posted and I do understand you're experiencing T3 timeouts. On the other hand and outside of that,  it's good for us to have an additional base of information on things like: how long has this been going on for, have you had a recent technician visit, if you're using the the internal Wi-Fi provided by the gateway without external router and if you've confirmed this issue happens while hardwired. It allows the community to have a better perspective of your situation and will help us upon repair as well.

Please also go ahead and send me a private message with your name so I can take a look.

Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Been going on for a few months, maybe 2-3. Nothing really changed, it's just disconnecting in rare times, mainly the night. No, I don't have an external router. And I haven't tested it during the night, no.

I sent a private message with my first and last name, so take a look if you can.

Official Employee

Hi, 18SEVERLY. I haven't heard back from you in about a week and I will be completing this interaction. Your downstream and upstream power levels have been fine from the beginning and are still in spec. The SNR level that was out of spec when we first started, is now showing in spec. All other signal levels are showing sufficient in your modem diagnostics. I'm not sure if you tried any of my recommendations. I also checked the node that supplies service to your home and everything looks fine there. As EG mentioned, the occasional T3 timeouts are OK, it's really a cause of concern if they are frequent and causing you actual connectivity issues. In this case, I recommend seeing if the intermittent issues continue at all and especially while hardwired at night. You're welcome to create a new post if you need further support. Thank you!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.