Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Disable Xfinity public hotspot/xfinitywifi

Frequent Visitor

Disable Xfinity public hotspot/xfinitywifi

I have been trying to disable xfinitywifi on my home ARRIS TG1682G for a few days now. I have tried to disable through My Account, and then also contacted customer service through the online chat feature in my account. Neither disabled the public hotspot. Any assistance would be much appreciated, thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Disable public hotspot/xfinitywifi

Don't use chat. Try calling in to a customer service rep at 1800comcast and ask them to disable it for you. Good luck !

All Replies
Frequent Visitor

I believe that I did it through the my account section but I also think that there was a way to shut it off through the modem interface locally.

This is customer to customer forum, if I wanted to talk to moderators or Comcast I would call the Philippines.
Expert

You can try to see if you can do it through the downloadable app here;

http://wifi.xfinity.com/

Frequent Visitor

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts! I've tried going through the local gateway (can't find any option to disable) and through the xfinity app (I can flip the switch to 'disable', but it just switches right back when I leave the screen), so neither of those has worked. More ideas are welcomed!

Frequent Visitor

I found alot of pages telling how but wanted to find an up to date one.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

try this, also look to see and make sure to click any save buttons to make it stick.

This is customer to customer forum, if I wanted to talk to moderators or Comcast I would call the Philippines.
Expert

youngjc1 wrote:

and through the xfinity app (I can flip the switch to 'disable', but it just switches right back when I leave the screen), 

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that even if that page shows it disabled, sometimes you need to enable it, wait a bit then disable it again to get the public wifi to shut off.

Frequent Visitor

kenn1977 wrote:

I found alot of pages telling how but wanted to find an up to date one.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot/

try this, also look to see and make sure to click any save buttons to make it stick.

Unfortunately, these are the directions I've followed, and it hasn't done anything for me. It always tells me to wait 24 hours, but never actually switches from 'Enabled'.

Frequent Visitor

EG wrote:

youngjc1 wrote:

and through the xfinity app (I can flip the switch to 'disable', but it just switches right back when I leave the screen), 

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that even if that page shows it disabled, sometimes you need to enable it, wait a bit then disable it again to get the public wifi to shut off.

Hmm, I just tried this, but to no avail. If ever I navigate away from the page with the enable/disable button, and then navigate back to the page, it is always back in the 'enabled' position. Even if I remain on that page in the app with the button toggled to disable, there is no evidence that it has had any sort of effect. Thanks though.

Expert

Don't use chat. Try calling in to a customer service rep at 1800comcast and ask them to disable it for you. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

I did call Comcast, and the rep insisted that my public wifi hotspot is turned off despite it being listed as 'enabled' on both My Account and on the app. They said they would look into the discrepancy between what the modem is doing and what is listed in my account. I guess it's resolved (?), but it would be nice if My Account reflected the reality of what services I was being provided/have switched on.

Expert

Alright. Irrefutable evidence would be that if you see the broadcast name / SSID in your WiFi client(s), and if you unplug the AC power from the gateway device, then it must disappear.
New Poster

I would like to share my recent experience with trying to disable the public hotspot.

As a preface, I wanted to disable the hotspot because 1) I have purchased my own modem (Arris TG862) and have not authorized Comcast to use it for their own purposes and 2) my mobile devices connect preferentially to the hotspot instead of my own home network.

Incidentally, when I first bought the modem and took it in to the local Comcast store to be provisioned, I asked specifically if it was going to broadcast "xfinitywifi", and was told "No".

I have placed the device into Bridged mode and am using an external router.

Anyway, about two weeks ago I noticed that my phone was logging onto "xfinitywifi" and found that it was coming from my modem. I decided to call Comcast and request that the hotspot be disabled. I spoke with a very helpful lady who turned off the hotspot. It took her all of about 5 minutes and I confirmed that the hotspot was off using "Wifi Analyzer" on my phone.

Earlier this week we had a cable/internet outage which lasted for a couple of hours. Yesterday while at home I saw that my phone was hooked up to "xfinitywifi". After unplugging the Arris from the wall socket and observing that "xfinitywifi" disappeared from Wifi Analyzer, I concluded that somehow the hotspot had been turned back on. I suspected it was a result of the cable outage and my modem being reset to some default configuration.

I called Comcast last evening and was transfered to technical support. The man (with a heavy accent) with whom I spoke initially said that he would take care of the issue, but after a couple of minutes he claimed that he had some "bad news" for me, which was that the Arris was "broken" and the hotspot could not be turned off. I told him that it was functioning normally in every other way, and that if it was indeed "broken" it must have been a result of the cable outage. He started telling me that, since it was my modem, Comcast could do nothing about it and I would have to contact Arris. After a protracted discussion I asked to speak to a supervisor. After about five minutes of "dead air" on the phone I hung up and decided to start over.

I once again was transfered to technical support and this time I spoke with a woman who told me that "Actually, it is impossible to turn off the hotspot." I told her that two weeks previously it had not only been possible but was in fact done. After "checking" something she returned and repeated "Actually it is impossible to turn off the hotspot." After going around in circles with her for about twenty minutes, insisting that two weeks ago the hotspot had been turned off and had mysteriously turned itself back on, and each time having her return with "Actually, it is impossible to turn off the hotspot", my wife made me hang up.

This morning I found out that there was a web page that I could go to to turn off the hotspot myself (https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot). I went to that page and it indicated "Public hotspot disabled". Wifi Analyzer tells me otherwise. Not only is "xfinitywifi" alive and well, it is the strongest signal in the house.

At this point I don't know what to do. I suspect that the technicians with whom I have spoken have been incompetent at best and dishonest at worst. I find it inconceivable that my modem has been "broken" in such a way that "xfinitywifi" has conveniently been stuck in the "On" position and cannot be turned off. I also cannot believe that what was accomplished two weeks ago with a simple phone call is now "Actually impossible".

Any advice would be appreciated.

New Poster

I have had much the same experience - multiple times. My reason for turning off the xfinity wifi hotspot is that my kids are using the hotspot to bypass the parental controls I have set on our home router.

I have used both the hotspot control setting under my Account, and called/chatted with customer support directly. I have also had the experience of going around in circles with the support agent telling me it is disabled when it is obviously active (based on the signal strength reported by Wifi Analyzer on my phone). Each time, it seems to take a day or more for the hotspot to turn off. All is well for several weeks, then I find the hotspot mysteriously active again, even though the control setting under My Account says it is disabled.

I believe that Comcast is occasionally updating the provisioning on the terminal which ends up turning on the hotspot. It is also pretty clear that the support agents 1) don't have the means to read the actual state of the wifi hotspot, and 2) don't know what the Comcast network is doing to the terminal. This whole thing is getting very annoying.

Contributor

This whole thing is becoming very frustrating for all of us. I understand Comcast is trying to let "guests" use wifi that doesn't interrupt our personal WiFi. I would MUCH rather have one of my houseguests hack my wifi than deal with xfinitywifi. I have heard and confirmed that businesses have the ability to turn xfinitywifi off and on instantly. Why can't this be a feature for all? If this awful device is in our houses, on our property, using OUR electricity, why can't WE turn it off?

Expert

0P hasn't returned. Dead / marked "solved" topic now being closed.