Community Forum

Disable Modem Upgrade Popup?

New Poster

Disable Modem Upgrade Popup?

Is there a way I can permanently disable this? It appears Comcast wants me to buy a new modem when I don't need one.

I'm on Blast Pro! (250mb/s down) with the Netgear CG3000Dv2 / N450 modem which, according to Comcast themselves can handle up to 283mb/s.

Why exactly are they saying I need to upgrade when my modem exceeds the service package I have? Can they just stop displaying popups asking for more money and leave me alone? I'll upgrade when I get service that outperforms my modem...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Disable Modem Upgrade Popup?

That modem is underpowered. It is only an 8-channel modem. Each channel is about 38M. So to get your 250M, you will need nearly 100% use of 7 channels. That means channels not available for others to use, or more likely, you will not get your maximum speed.

You should upgrade to a newer modem with 16, or better, 32 channels. If it's available in your area, a DOCSIS 3.1 can open up even more bandwidth and be nicer to others sharing your node, and keep your speeds more consistent.

Highlighted
Expert

@Nagisan wrote:

Is there a way I can permanently disable this? It appears Comcast wants me to buy a new modem when I don't need one.

I'm on Blast Pro! (250mb/s down) with the Netgear CG3000Dv2 / N450 modem which, according to Comcast themselves can handle up to 283mb/s.

Why exactly are they saying I need to upgrade when my modem exceeds the service package I have? Can they just stop displaying popups asking for more money and leave me alone? I'll upgrade when I get service that outperforms my modem...

What are you speed tests telling you? 

https://speedtest.xfinity.com

https://www.speedtest.net

https://fast.com

If you have Blast Pro! 250, you should be getting close to 300 Mbps on a properly configured 16x4 modem. If you aren't getting those speeds then your modem is the bottleneck. 

And BTW, you don't have to lease a gateway from Comcast, you're always free to buy your own. See:  Approved Xfinity Modems and Gateways

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Speed tests are showing between 260-280MB/s down,  I know I can buy my own...was just frustrated seeing popups from comcast in the middle of browsing the web. Send an email or something if you detect a bottleneck, don't interrupt my browsing experience (even if only a minor interruption).

Part of the reason I'm hesitant to upgrade my modem is because I only got the Blast Pro service because of the 12mo promotion that had the same price I was paying for my previous internet service (I recently moved). I'm most likely going to downgrade the service for a cheaper price when the promotion is up and at that point anything more than what I have now (modem-wise) will definitely be overkill.

I'd rather deal with a minor bottleneck now than pay for a new modem that will only provide benefit over what I have for 10 months or so. I'd just like to not have browsing interruptions to deal with until then. Bad design if there's no way to opt out of such a thing......all it'd take is a checkbox or something on the popup that says "Don't remind me" (I looked and didn't see anything of the sort) and I wouldn't have bothered to make a post about it.