Community Forum

Different Wall Plate To Use Internet

Frequent Visitor

Different Wall Plate To Use Internet

I went to install Xfinity Internet for the first time.  It would not activate.  The US/DS light just kept blinking, but the Power and Wi-Fi lights were solid.  The Online light was off.  I called support and was told that I need a "special wall plate" for the Internet even though I tried the same outlet that I use for my Xfinity TV service and the TV service works fine.  I do not have Xfinity phone service.  I was told that I would have to pay a technician $60 to come replace the "wall plate" and only a technician could do it, but I could not get any info on what was different about the "wall plate"  that I need.  Does anyone know the answer to this?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Different Wall Plate To Use Internet

I don’t know about a different wall plate but a tech may have to get you connected from the outside. Have you gone backwards to where the cable comes into your house and hook up your modem from there. This would be to see if you even have a live signal

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

ComcastAndrew are you talking about the "junction box" on the outside of my house or right where it comes into the house?  I have not tried either.  I am not sure this is an indication of a live signal or not, but a new home network was setup.  I had the modem connected to my computer with an Ethernet cable.  The network information said that there was an Internet connection and that data was sending and receiving.

Diamond Problem Solver

If you’ve never had Comcast before, and you’re trying to self install, take a look at the box at the side of the house and see what’s there. The internet isn’t just plug and play especially when you haven’t had the service before

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I have had Xfinity TV service for a while, but no Internet.  I have to disagree with you about the Internet not being plug and play.  I set up my dad's Xfinity modem and it was plug and play (after the initial startup then activating it) .  He has the same modem that I got and he had Xfinity TV service before that.  Nobody from Comcast came to his house.  The only difference that I notice is that my dad does not have the "junction box" on the outside of his house.

Diamond Problem Solver

The plug and play comment was based on your original post but you left out the part of having TV service, the question is now along the lines of do you know if the outlet you’re hooking up to is live or not. Disconnect a cable box, hook up your modem and see if your modem’s lights lock in.

Frequent Visitor

I mentioned in my original post that I have TV service and that I had tried that outlet.

Diamond Problem Solver

I apologize, I didn’t catch that the first time. The only other thing it’s the signal just isn’t good enough for your modem to lock on but good enough for your cable to work. Again, I would try to go back to where the cable comes into the house or before any splitter (whatever you have).

Frequent Visitor

My new Xfinity Internet service (and new TV package which I couldn't use until the modem was set up) is finally working 10 days after I got the equipment.  Support is terrible!   I wanted to reply so that other people can know what to expect and to put the solution at the bottom.

1) Before contacting Support, I connected my modem where it comes in the house and that did not work, so I was mostly sure that the problem was outside.  I have a "junction box" outside.

2) I called Support and could barely hear the person I was talking to.  I heard different people talking in the background.  Maybe support needs noise cancelling microphones or something.  Support wanted to send a tech.  I said that I would call back when I know that I could be home for the appointment.

3) I called Support a second time.  I had trouble understanding the person because of their accent.  Support told me (said a tech told them) that my problem is where the modem connects to the wall outlet, that only a tech could fix the problem, and that I would be contacted to tell me if the outlet could be checked without a fee and to give me a Ticket Number.  I did not hear back from anybody.  That was obviously not the problem though.

4) I chatted online (I got tired of trying to understand support on the phone) with Support and was told that a tech would check the line within 24-48 hours.  I waited 72 hours and nothing was done.

5) I chatted again with Support and set up an appointment to check the line outside.  I was told that I would not have to be home and I wasn't.  There was a "notice" on my door that said a signal loss was corrected.  I tried the modem again and it still didn't work.  Obviously, the signal was not checked at the "junction box" outside of my house.

6) I made another appointment when I could be home.  The tech said that a filter was installed at the pole that was causing the problem.  So, I had to make arrangements to be home for the appointment.  On top of that, they wanted to charge me a $59.99 installation fee when nothing was installed.  I already had TV service and the outlets were already set up.  I had to contact support again to get that straightened out.

7) Three other things.  When I chatted with Support, I was told that I would not lose any channels with my new TV package, but I did.  Somebody from support called about a survey I submitted.  The guy was on speakerphone.  I  couldn't understand him and asked if he was on speakerphone.  He said yes.  I asked him to take me off speakerphone (so that I might understand him better).  He didn't do that and just kept talking.  I got an email asking about my experience and a good time to talk to me.  I replied and didn't hear back from anybody either on the phone or through email.

Frequent Visitor

I forgot to include something in my previous response.  I knew that the modem was not the problem because I tried it at another house that has Xfinity Internet and the US/DS lights quit blinking and the Online light came on.

Official Employee

Hi there, John154. We appreciate you posting your journey. Welcome to the community by the way. We are happy to have you. It's frustrating to hear about the sequence of events that you went through. I'm sorry it was such a hassle to get internet successfully installed and activated, there can be a lot involved within that process. I know you found that out the hard way. Just to confirm - has everything with your account been taken care of up to this point?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi, John154. I ended up not hearing back from you on this and I went ahead and completed the interaction. If you end up needing further support with it, please let me know.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!