Community Forum

Delayed Ethernet Connection--more

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

Re: Delayed Ethernet Connection--more

Thank you, ComcastBillie. This is the first time we've seen your name, so welcome to the "party".

Just so you know, there were two previous, extensive threads on this issue. Both were locked by someone, and we assumed it was Comcast. Do you have volunteers who help you monitor these threads? Folks who have the permission to lock them? If so, maybe someone needs a little training

Yes, at times some frustrations spilled out into the comments, but I hope you can understand why - especially on a problem that is now 2 months old. But nothing was said that warranted the shutting down of the conversation.

To make matters worse, we never received any notifications/posts (whether via the public threads or via private message) as to why the threads were locked down. They were just abruptly shut down, so we had to restart the conversation twice and try to reach out to all the previous posters. Very frustrating and not very cool.

Anyway, thanks for assuring us that this thread will stay open until there's a resolution. If this thread gets locked, we will reach out to you in a private message to get it unlocked!

Greg
hjens
Contributor

I am one of the original posters on this thread and others whose Ethernit connectivity time lag problem was solved with a vist to the Comcast store and switching from an XB6 modem to an XB7. But I live in fear of it returning with some firmware update pushed into my system at 3:30 a.m. I'd like to see this addressed ASAP where the problem originated, namely Comcast, never to rear its ugly head again.

FlushDNS
New Poster

I'm also experiencing this problem. 

CGM4331COM

CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey

fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Good morning Steve . Just wanted to pass along some info I received last night . I got a PM from ComcastMarcos wanting to run some diagnostics with me to determine if he could solve the lag problem. I kindly advised him to read the numerous posts as to the nature and origin of the problem and that it appears that a ticket has been generated regarding this .  He PM'd back and said he could find no ticket regarding my trouble and wanted to perform tests. A few hours later I got a PM from ComcasrChe that stated, and I'm paraphrasing here, that each person having this problem will need to assist in testing to verify the problem before they can be added to a repair ticket ...   Interesting

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

a) Hello @FlushDNS -- thanks for checking in here. We have many XB7 users here with this problem and all of them have the same firmware version you have. All indications are that this problem relates to a firmware bug and it will take a firmware revision to fix the problem.

If you scroll back a few posts, @ComcastBillie wrote:

If you have not done so already please be sure to send us a private message for further assistance/investigation, along with getting your account linked to the advanced repair ticket created. You can send us a private message by clicking on my hand, "ComcastBillie".

I'd encourage you to do that so that as many people as possible are "on the record" (directly with tech support and not just here in this forum) as having this problem.

b) Also, with reference to "tickets" (and today's post from @fiero44)...

After a series of private message exchanges with various Comcast folks, I was told that my ticket number is CR946158395 .  I don't know if that is a ticket personally assigned to me or if it is a general ticket number for this problem. I also don't know whether this ticket was recently created or if it was created some time ago (along with many others here, I've been actively involved with this problem since mid-December).

--> In any case, I would encourage everyone here to refer to this ticket # CR946158395 in any interactions with Comcast about this issue.  Even if this ticket is only supposed to apply to me, at least the Comcast rep will see that this problem has already been reported and new reports can piggy-back onto this ticket.

--Steve

Kruunk83
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the confusion. I have 4.6p5s1 and I can now immediately connect to the internet as soon as I boot up my PC. This recently started working again just this week.
Kruunk83
Frequent Visitor

Mine only occurred at boot but seems to be fixed now. My pc never sleeps.
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@Kruunk83-- glad to hear that the problem has been fixed for you. You are at least the second person here who saw the problem fixed when your XB7 firmware was upgraded from 4.6p2s1 to 4.6p5s1.  Let's hope that Comcast quickly updates all the the XB7's to 4.6p5s1 as soon as possible.

Likewise, we've seen a report here that on the XB6 gateway, firmware version 4.6p7s1 solves this problem.  Let's hope that this version gets widely distributed quickly. With an XB6, I am anxiously waiting for this.

Let's go Comcast!

FlushDNS
New Poster

I wonder when the rest of us can expect this firmware update? 

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

The million dollar question...
jmah20
Frequent Visitor

Checking for the firmware update is now now part of my morning routine. Come on Comcast roll it out!
I’m curious if they even tried to duplicate this problem in-house running the XB7 on 4.6p2s1 firmware??
Lititzdb
Regular Visitor

I'm a relatively new Xfinity customer with the XB6-T (CGM4140COM) router providing 100mb service. We're Mac people. Unfortunately, my wife's Mac Mini requires ethernet connection. I had my laptop connected with ethernet initially becasue I felt it might provide a bit more speed. Then, suddenly, we both started having this dealy isse. I switched t Wi-Fi and noted no loss of speed...and no connection delay. It was driving me nuts trying to fix the issue on my wife's computer until I found this forum. Saw the post about using a switch and just happend t have a 5-port in my defunt comptuer stuff drawer. Hooked it up and the problem disappeared. Did slow things a bit. I get about 114 mbs on my laptop, she's only getting 94. Certainly not enough of a loss  to outweigh that awful delay. Hope they fix this soon. BTW. How does one contact technical support? I've tried and gotten nowhere.

Tek
Problem Solver

I am still stuck on with the old firmware and the delay. Very annoying.  My XB7 is brand new from Xfinity. Also, brand new from the factory. It was not a refurb. 

Model: CGM4331COM

Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey

Tek
tfs128
Regular Visitor

Received a Xb7 from support yesterday to replace my XB6 and the issue seems to have gone away.

Model name: CGM4331COM
Vendor: Technicolor
Revision: 2.0
Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.4p12s1_PROD_sey

Tek
Problem Solver

At 3AM this morning I recieved the new firmware and it corrected my connection delay:

Old Firmware: 

XB7 (White Gateway)

Model: CGM4331COM

Firmware: CGM4331COM_4.6p2s1_PROD_sey

New Firmware with fix:

CGM4331COM_4.6p5s1_PROD_sey

I live in the northeast. 

Tek
jmah20
Frequent Visitor

I as well received the 4.6p5s1 firmware update this morning and no longer experiencing the slow connection problem. Thank you Comcast!! I’m in the Northeast as well. (New Jersey)
corgi11
Problem Solver

Still waiting for my software update.
I live in the Chicagoland Area
fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Still waiting here also . I received PM's from 3 different Comcast (fill in the names) reps Saturday and sent my firmware info to them . One asked if I wanted an advanced repair ticket or an XB7 . I asked for repair ticket but have had no response ...   I'm in the Minneapolis area ....

Tek
Problem Solver

Contacting Advanced Repair is not going to help your situation. The only solution is to wait for the system to push the new firmware. Even if they can push the new firmware if it does not match what the system expects then it will remove it the next day. This experience was described by another poster. It does appear Xfinity is pushing this new firmware out daily now.

Tek
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

There's been a lot of activity in the past day or two. Looks as though Comcast is making progress but there is much more to do.

Glad that @tfs128  @Tek  and @jmah20 have received firmware updates for their XB7's which fixed their slow connection problem.  Several XB7 users have now received the updated firmware although there are a few XB7 people here who still have the problem.

On the other hand, hello to @Lititzdb who has newly reported the problem on his XB6. Could you let us know the firmware version that's currently on your XB6?

Meanwhile, last night I received a firmware update on my XB6. The new version is 4.4p10s2 but it does NOT solve the problem. That's not surprising to me because that's the same version that @corgi11 has and he also has this slow connection problem. Both of us (as well as a bunch of other people with XB6's) will need a firmware upgrade, probably to 4.6p7s1. About two weeks ago @BlackTriad was updated to that version and the problem was fixed.

Hoping that Comcast starts pushing out the needed firmware to those of us with XB6's and also to the remaining XB7 units which still have this problem. 

BlackTriad
Frequent Visitor

I still have the problematic firmware and the delay associated with it. No fix here yet.

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@BlackTriad-- looks like I missed something. My spreadsheet shows that your XB6 was upgraded to 4.6p7s1 and that fixed the problem.  Is that your current firmware version? And the problem remains with that version?

Lititzdb
Regular Visitor

Be happy to if you tell me how to find it. As a Mac user since 1986, I’ve been mostly self-sufficient, even to home and office network set-up. Having recently been give access to Xfinity on our street I jumped at the chance to get better speeds than my phonic DSL, even after the many warnings about Comcast . But I find the whole interface, even accessing this forum, totally bewildering and eerily Windows-like. Perhaps it’s best for me just to observe from the periphery for a while.
tfs128
Regular Visitor

@SteveWW 

Quick little correction. I was having this issue on an XB6, Comcast sent me an XB7 which is not having the issue.

alantrainor1
Frequent Visitor

I also received the same firmware update as 

fiero44
Frequent Visitor

I also received firmware update to 4.4p10s2 on my XB6 ...   Still have delay of 15-30 seconds

corgi11
Problem Solver

I had this version for 2 weeks and it worked fine on my XB6  CGM4331COM_4.6p5s1_PROD_sey

I  was downgraded to CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey and it is slow to connect to ethernet. I am having no other problems. I would sure like the previous software I had for 2 weeks. Why was I downgraded in the first place?

Can someone at Comcast push the newer software to me anrd then whitelst it so it doesn't go away agian.

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

>> Quick little correction. I was having this issue on an XB6, Comcast sent me an XB7 which is not having the issue.

Thanks for the correction @tfs128  .  Your earlier post was quite clear about this; I incorrectly grouped your situation with the firmware updates that others had received when I wrote my post.

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

@Lititzdb  -- The easiest way to see your fimware version:

a) Point your browser to 10.0.0.1

b) Log in to the router

c) In the left column, click on "Software" and you'll see the firmware version ("Software Image Name"). It will look something like this: CGM4140COM_4.4p10s2_PROD_sey -- although of course your specific numbers may be different.

CGM4140COM means that this gateway is an XB6 made by Technicolor

4.4p10s2 is the actual firmware version, which is the information we're looking for

BlackTriad
Frequent Visitor

@SteveWW

If you read back on the locked thread you’ll see that I reported that my firmware was rolled back the next day.
SteveWW
Regular Contributor

>> If you read back on the locked thread you’ll see that I reported that my firmware was rolled back the next day. 

Thanks @BlackTriad -- I do remember now. Your firmware was upgraded to 4.6p7s1 which did fix the problem but the next day another version was pushed to your gateway which caused the problem to return. You were reverted to  4.4p6s1 which many of us have had and that version is definitely associated with this problem.

Tek
Problem Solver

Morning,

So I received the fixed firmware on my modem at 3AM on 2/17. Last night, I received an alert that my modem rebooted again around 2:45am on 2/18. I thought for sure the reverted the firmware, but they did not.

How often do they reboot modems for no reason around 3AM? My firmware didn't change this time, so I am not sure why they did it?

Tek
corgi11
Problem Solver

For those of you that would like to know. While you are waiting for your firmware update Amazon is having a sale on unmanaged network switches.
corgi11
Problem Solver

Did any one else get firmware upgrades?
fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Nothing here yet since my last firmware change on 2-17 which did not help ...

Tek
Problem Solver

Update! Recieved yet another firmware update around 3AM on my XB7:

New Firmware with fix from last week:

CGM4331COM_4.6p5s1_PROD_sey

New Firmware from last night (also has fix):

CGM4331COM_4.6p6s1_PROD_sey

Two firmware updates in one week! 

Tek
jmah20
Frequent Visitor

I received 4.6p6s1 last evening as well!
BlackTriad
Frequent Visitor

The delay seems to be finally, almost three months later, corrected. A look at my XB6 firmware shows:

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: Prod_19.3_d31 & Prod_19.3
Software Image Name: CGM4140COM_4.6p9s1_PROD_sey
Advanced Services: CGM4140COM
Packet Cable: 2.0
fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Good to hear BlackTriad ..  I still have 4.4p10s2 on my XB6 .  Hope it will be my turn soon .. I might have missed it but it would have been nice if a Comcast Rep had posted recently that they know they have a problem and are in the process of correcting it ...

SteveWW
Regular Contributor

Fixed for me too! Overnight my XB6 was updated to 4.6p9s1 and that fixed the problem. 

Glad to see that several others have also received updated firmware that fixed this problem. I'm guessing that those who haven't yet received the fix will get it soon.

I agree with @fiero44  that Comcast's lack of communication has been a serious problem while all of us have struggled with this issue. Even just a little bit of communication would have helped a lot.

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

Very happy to hear that the fix is FINALLY rolling out!!!

fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Great news @SteveWW  for getting the update . You and many others deserve a lot of credit for the work you put in on this problem ..   It's unfortunate that Comcast has been hesitant to provide feedback to those affected but it is what it is and I will wait my turn patiently ...

alantrainor1
Frequent Visitor

SteveWW,

Good to hear that you got the new firmware. Thanks so much for all the good work you did for us all. I'm still  on 4.4p10s2 but relieved to know the update is on the way.

g-hodgson
Regular Contributor

This has been a great and knowledgeable group of Comcast customers to work and interact with.

A huge kudos to Steve for sticking with this for so long. From the earliest reporting of the issue in mid-December, he documented, diagnosed, and stayed with it every step of the way...providing valuable feedback and info to Comcast.

And a huge kudos to BlackTriad for pushing the right buttons to force this fix to happen.

Hey Comcast, how about a free month of service for Steve and BlackTriad?!?!?!😁
sjwj
Frequent Visitor

Checking back in.

Problem not resolved. Same firmware: CGM4140COM_4.4p6s1_PROD_sey

Tek
Problem Solver

Mine rebooted again last night during the update window. No firmware changes this time.

How often do the reboot them without an upgrade?

Tek
hjens
Contributor

Every night at around 3:30 a.m. whether you need it or not.

hjens
Contributor

FYI my XB7 received a firmware update CGM4331COM_4.6p5s1 labeled "Revision 2.0" last night or the night before.

blueaid
Frequent Visitor

Currently still on 4.4p10s2

fiero44
Frequent Visitor

Me too