Community Forum

Decreased performance after upgrade to GB service

Frequent Visitor

Decreased performance after upgrade to GB service

I've had 400MB service for the past 2 years. I was very happy.
My networking equipment:

• Netgear CM1000 (firmware V3.01.04)
  • Orbi RBK50 AC3000 (firmware V2.1.4.16)

Hardwired Equipment

• Dell E7470 i7 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD
  • iMac 5K 27' i7 4Ghz 6700K series 32GB Ram, 1TB SSD

Wireless Equipment:

• iPad Pro's 9.7/10.5 
  • iPad mini's gen 3/4
  • iPhone 8's, 6s
  • Apple TV's
  • Ring

System performance and coverage was stunning at that speed tier. Speedtests from Source Forge, Fast.com, Ookla, Xfinity Speedtest, etc, were all averaging 550-650MB on Wifi, no sweat. Every device had instant on access. I was all grins.

I recieved the offer in an Xfinity to move up to the Gig Speed bundle save some money on my soon expiring plan. Service went active, they installed an XB6 in place of my CM1000; immediately, speedtests dropped to 200-260MB avg on Wifi. Hardwired, im hitting in the 600's.  On site tech said it takes a few hours for the signal to provision to get me into the 900s, but it'll be there by 8pm. It was 3:30pm.

By 11pm, Wifi is 85-110MB, Hardwired is hitting in the 500s. Call TS, they advise the XB just needs to be reprovisioned. Do that, same thing. I ask to get back on my orginal equipment, after a few days and some provisioning errors, my CM1000 gets added back to my account. My speeds? 200-290MB avg on Wifi. Hardwired, im hitting in the low 400's - 560's. 

So, I'm just wondering, how on the same equipment, but higher, more expensive service tier, my speed (Wifi and Wired) got slower.  Any recommendations/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_0326.pngpost upgrade wifispeedtest.pngpost upgrade Wired

Expert

Re: Decreased performance after upgrade to GB service

Nothing is guaranteed over wireless more of it depends on how the communication is between the router and the client connected. How are the speeds directly wired into the CM1000?
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Nothing is guaranteed over wireless more of it depends on how the communication is between the router and the client connected. How are the speeds directly wired into the CM1000?

Thats what the wired screen shot is showing you; the captions on each show the protocol. I understand that Wifi is a fickle mistress, but i also know about consistency I was getting prior to the change. I've long been a fan of Matt Hafner's WiFi Analyzer and i'm on a practical island as far as network congestion goes; the neighbors are all on higher spectrums/channels on 5ghz, and im sitting pretty and unobstructed on 48. I assumed thats why on 400MB service I was always bursting beyond the limit.

I just ran a speedtest from inside the Orbi directly connected aka hardwired, into the CM1000.

orbi.pngSpeedtest inside Orbi direct from CM1000

Expert

I'm not sure you understood what was asked : did you connect the CM1000 directly to one of your computers via Ethernet, bypassing the Orbi completely? 

If not, please do so, reboot both the modem and the computer, and run the speed tests again. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

@darkangelic wrote:

I'm not sure you understood what was asked : did you connect the CM1000 directly to one of your computers via Ethernet, bypassing the Orbi completely? 

If not, please do so, reboot both the modem and the computer, and run the speed tests again. 

Hardwired, directly into CM1000 from the E7470. Rebooted both.

Please not the screenshots are showing the active ethernet interface and its native speed.

xfinitylantest.pngInitial test after hard bootxfinitylantest2.png2nd test after hard boot

Does this give you what you needed?

Expert

Which model of the CM1000 is this? If it is the 1AZNAS model, it is not compatible. Also, how are the signal stats on the CM1000, they can be seen at http://192.168.100.1?

Frequent Visitor

Just for grins, i decided to run the same test via HTML 5 in Chrome same direct connection as stated earlier.

sourceforge.pngSourceForge HTML 5 test w/nic

Frequent Visitor

This is directly from the unit. Stats are forthcoming.

17563A20-A437-4226-A8A9-88A204220314.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:

Which model of the CM1000 is this? If it is the 1AZNAS model, it is not compatible. Also, how are the signal stats on the CM1000, they can be seen at http://192.168.100.1?

log1.pngtoplog2.pngmiddlelog3.pngbottom

and in case you're wondering, yes, i do indeed have Gigabit service

service.pngproof

Expert

It should be on the box to say if it is 1AZNAS.
Frequent Visitor

As I stated in the original post, I’ve had this setup 2 years now, the box is long gone.

I pulled up the reciept and it states CM1000-100NAS. It is not the model you are referring to.
Expert

Ok. Do you meet all requirements stated here. Especially for the SSD not flash storage.
C93299F0-F305-4A22-A772-FE2A6AC7E42C.jpeg
Expert

Directly from minimum system requirements page:

Gigabit Speed Expectations

At this time, Gigabit Internet service by XFINITY delivers WiFi speeds that are faster than some of today's most advanced smartphones, laptops and tablets are capable of running. To help potential Gigabit Internet service customers better understand what download speeds can be expected over WiFi, XFINITY tested the WiFi throughput of some of today's leading devices with the XFINITY Advanced Gateway under a variety of conditions.

Although download speeds up to 940 Mbps are possible with a hardwired connection, maximum WiFi speeds could be limited by your device's age and model. Other factors could include how many WiFi-connected devices are in use, website traffic and content provider server capacity.

Laptop Computers Expected Maximum Speed
MacBook Pro 2015 Up to 435 Mbps
MacBook Pro 2016 Up to 396 Mbps
Dell Latitude E7470 Up to 310 Mbps
MacBook Air Up to 266 Mbps
MSI Laptop Up to 248 Mbps
HP Omen Laptop Up to 245 Mbps
Razer Laptop Up to 226 Mbps
Acer Aspire S 13 Up to 200 Mbps
Microsoft Surface Book Up to 184 Mbps
ChromeBook Plus Up to 156 Mbps
Lenovo IdeaPad Up to 130 Mbps

Mobile Devices Expected Maximum Speed
Google Pixel Up to 268 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S8 Up to 266 Mbps
iPhone 7 Plus Up to 231 Mbps
iPhone 7 Up to 211 Mbps
Nexus 6P Up to 211 Mbps
Nexus 6 Up to 207 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Up to 202 Mbps
Samsung S7 Edge Up to 200 Mbps
iPhone 6S Up to 191 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S5 Up to 175 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S6 Up to 174 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Up to 141 Mbps
iPhone 6 Up to 120 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S4 Up to 113 Mbps
iPhone SE Up to 83 Mbps
Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini Up to 58 Mbps
Nexus 7 Up to 42 Mbps
iPhone 5S Up to 41 Mbps

Tablets Expected Maximum Speed
Nexus 9 Tab Up to 362 Mbps
iPad Mini 4 Up to 238 Mbps
Surface Pro 3 Up to 211 Mbps
Surface Pro 4 Up to 205 Mbps
iPad Air 2 Up to 199 Mbps
iPad Pro Up to 199 Mbps
Galaxy Tab S2 Up to 178 Mbps
MacBook Pro 2013 Up to 127 Mbps
Kindle Fire HDX Up to 76 Mbps
iPad Mini 2 Up to 73 Mbps
iPad Air Up to 64 Mbps
iPad 4 Up to 51 Mbps
Zenpad S 8.0 Up to 27 Mbps
iPad 2 Up to 23 Mbps

Other Devices Expected Maximum Speed
ASUS AC 88 Up to 502 Mbps
Apple TV4 Up to 257 Mbps
Netgear A6210 Up to 192 Mbps
D-Link Wireless DWA-182 Up to 174 Mbps
XBox One S Up to 112 Mbps
Linksys WUSB6100M Up to 111 Mbps
Netgear A6100 Up to 107 Mbps
PS4 Pro Up to 96 Mbps
Tplink TL-WN823N Up to 53 Mbps

Frequent Visitor

I don’t know if you missed the fact that the majority of the images shown are with a hardwired Ethernet connection. The images state so specifically. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that even my wireless speeds were faster than what’s posted in the specs. I’m trying to discern if those last two responses were meant to be helpful or dismissive.
Expert

You said Flash storage in the beginning, and the first image provided explains SSD recommended for performance and to make sure the browsers are up to date, and the second shows for the wireless side for some of your wireless side clients. Are the drivers up to date on the Dell along with macOS for the iMac?

Frequent Visitor

Following your requests, I posted images of hardwired connections, inclusive of the nic information, showing the raw performance straight from the modem to the nic Comcast ip in tow, and I’m handed a spec sheet, rather than even acknowledging the presence of a problem. A problem clearly being illustrated. Yet the inference is that somehow it’s my equipment and environment not the service at fault. When I am providing empirical data. Interesting.
Expert

Yes, there is a problem, now you are being given more steps to look for to see what fixes the problems, such as verifiying that the OS and drivers are up to date along with checking for the anitvirus/firewall which can play a role in fixing a problem. Yes, but everything on your side needs to be checked, and I mean almost everything has to be looked through that has potential to cause a problem. Sorry to make you feel like your equipment is being blamed, but let's set the record staright, nothing is being inferred yet, but things need to be checked before making any conclusion. Have you tried booting into safe mode, and disbaling antivirus/firewall temporairly, or even try adblock software? Also, have you tried downloading the speedtest by Ookla app for Windows and macOS to try to bypass network activity from computers from other applications?

Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:

Yes, there is a problem, now you are being given more steps to look for to see what fixes the problems, such as verifiying that the OS and drivers are up to date along with checking for the anitvirus/firewall which can play a role in fixing a problem. Yes, but everything on your side needs to be checked, and I mean almost everything has to be looked through that has potential to cause a problem. Sorry to make you feel like your equipment is being blamed, but let's set the record staright, nothing is being inferred yet, but things need to be checked before making any conclusion. Have you tried booting into safe mode, and disbaling antivirus/firewall temporairly, or even try adblock software? Also, have you tried downloading the speedtest by Ookla app for Windows and macOS to try to bypass network activity from computers from other applications?

Ok, so that I'm clear,  you admit that there IS a problem, based on images i've provided showing the performance plugged in directly from the router, and acknowledge that <200MB via a Cat6 cable on a GB service tier is an issue. But, all the devices that worked beyond provided spec when on the 400MB tier, bursting > 600MB, are the now the culprits for the Gig service's lack of performance. Essentially, its not the service, yet, its the individual devices that all worked flawlessly before, that now suddenly are outdated, and below spec because of the Gig service. So between a hard wired 2017 iMac running Safari on High Sierra 10.13.6, a hardwired Dell running Edge/Chrome/Firefox, etc, on Win 10.0.15063, and countless wireless devices running ios 11.4.1 or ios 12 beta are all suddenly woefully misconfigured because they are on Gig service? Thats where i'm supposed to troubleshoot? What about my router logs? I provided them. And nary a comment about them. So don't look at the data, look at the devices that were functioning a mere week ago. Ok.

1143.png

Because its the laptop wth thats causing the degradtion on network performance directly from the router. And the brand new Sony OLED TV down there that is buffering now when streaming Netflix 4K. Its the TV's fault. Ok.

Expert

Your signals are fine. What does the modem’s event log show? Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall/antivirus if you have any and retesting and booting into safe mode and retesting and checking for driver updated for your NIC card? I haven’t seen that stated just yet.
Frequent Visitor

@jweaver0312 wrote:
Your signals are fine. What does the modem’s event log show? Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall/antivirus if you have any and retesting and booting into safe mode and retesting and checking for driver updated for your NIC card? I haven’t seen that stated just yet.

So wait, my firewall, AV, and Ad Blockers that allowed 600MB before are now preventing 1 Gig from running on the same machines? What are you going to tell me next? Eject the CD tray for 30 seconds? Im supposed to seriously disable all network protections with a publically accessible IP address when things like this are actively taking place?

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 24.72.224.10, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:15
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.153.104.126, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:13
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.153.104.127, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:13
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.153.104.126, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:12
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 162.248.95.145, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:10
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 162.248.95.144, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:08
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 162.248.95.145, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:53:08
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 162.151.17.198, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:52:33
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.153.104.126, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:52:22
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 104.153.104.127, port 80, Tuesday, August 07, 2018 20:52:22

You're asking me to verify that my security system works by disarming it and telling the thieves its disarmed. Thanks for the advice. 

Expert

Ok then. What about the drivers for the Dell? I think you might need a technician to come with their XMT device. Now, I havent really seen them in action, so I can only tell you what I know about them. These devices are similar to the Raspberry Pi, but more powerful. It connectes to your network through Ethernet and designed to be running speed tests to their own servers, mainly used for gig speedtest verification. If the issue occurs on their device, then they know that it is 100% their problem.

Expert

@TheGoodalls

Did you eject the CD tray for 30 seconds?  Smiley Wink

But seriously....

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Frequent Visitor

@The_Janitor wrote:

@TheGoodalls

Did you eject the CD tray for 30 seconds?  Smiley Wink

But seriously....

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

Of course I did ... 😉 
I appreciate the actual assistance. And i promise, I'm a big believer in Wheaton's law.

Expert

One minute. And standing on his head.

But seriously, as a recap -

It's obviously not the modems as it appeared on the leased XB6 as well as the CM1000. 

It's not the CM1000 as the problematic 1AZNS variant was only released this year, and this one has been in service for two years.

It's not the provisioning as the upload speed is perfect.

It's not any bonding and signal issues as the signals from the CM1000 look really good.

It's not the Ethernet cabling as the Windows network settings show an autonegotiated gigabit connection.

It's not the antivirus or security settings on the devices as the Orbi shows a similar drop in its  internal test. 

The only other possible test I can think of is to move the modem to a different cable outlet, or ideally near the cable demarc where the cable enters the house, to eliminate the internal coax wiring as the issue.  Other than that, I'm going with @The_Janitor and leave this to a Comcast rep. 

"The one thing that you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and build and play and dance and live as only you can." - Neil Gaiman
Frequent Visitor

A CCIE I know, reached out to touch base last night, I mentioned what had been happening and he took a look. He asked me how long my lease was being held by the modem. He mentioned hearing about issues with leased IPs not releasing automatically causing issues downstream. 🤷🏾‍♂️ I'm not gonna get into the specifics of what or how he did, but he used a tool called Putty, and some Solar Winds thing, and a gang of terminal windows; it was probably a brute force release/renew on the external IP. But I didn't boot a thing, didn't turn off any services on any devices. He told me to test my phone on Wifi:

IMG_0711.PNGRed is before, Green is after ...

Then told me to test my iMac wirelessly:

Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 11.47.21 AM.jpgiMac on Wifi this morning … notice the change in the IP address
So notice, again, same devices, no driver changes, no FW/AV being turned off, and all well in excess of Comcast's posted maximum speed guidelines, as I have advised,  and become accustomed.

Hope this helped someone think of other possibilities when investigating network issues, other than rebooting, compromising system/network integrity, and ejecting the cd, when the devices clearly worked prior. Have a great day guys.

Expert

Looks pretty much what I get on my iPhone X and on my iMac (when I use WiFi) so looks like it's been taken care of. Excellent news.

New Poster

This is exaxtly the response i got after providing information on my wired connection and how the computer in question exceeds the minimum requirments...

Frequent Visitor

It’s practically insulting. It’s like calling tech support and the first thing they tell you to do is unplug the router for 30 seconds and plug it back in. Ugh.
Official Employee

I can certainly check this for you from here if you would like. To protect the privacy of your account, can you provide your full name, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services? To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.