Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Data usage number doesn't match with my router

New Poster

Data usage number doesn't match with my router

I received an alert that I used 90% of data (900G this month.

That's very weird because we usually use 500GB/month and we took 5 days of vacation this month.

My router monitors data usage of all attached devices and shows total 525GB download and 54GB upload

which exactly match with our average usage.

Is that a false alarm from Comcast?

Expert

Re: Data usage number doesn't match with my router

Hi @enties

These folks deal with data usage inquires:

Customer Security Assurance 

• Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week

Contributor

You can check the data usage by a windows 10 computer yourself and find out if any specific computer and program on your network are using a lot of data.  Here is a primer on how to do that: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-network-usage-your-windows-10-devices

I checked several of the computers on my home network and was able to identify several computers that appear to be using a ton of data.  if you can do the same, you MAY be able to make changes on those specific computers and resolve the problem.

Expert

@maryleacoday wrote:

You can check the data usage by a windows 10 computer yourself and find out if any specific computer and program on your network are using a lot of data.  Here is a primer on how to do that: 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-monitor-network-usage-your-windows-10-devices

I checked several of the computers on my home network and was able to identify several computers that appear to be using a ton of data.  if you can do the same, you MAY be able to make changes on those specific computers and resolve the problem.

That doesn't help those of us who have multiple wifi devices plus home devices that use an ethernet connection.  xFi tells me I have 16 connected devices, two of which are Win10 computers and one is a win8.1 laptop.

Contributor

If you think hard about this situation, Robert, you will realize that there is no complete fix for this situation except for Comcast to count data usage by device and provide that information to the consumer.  As far as I can tell, they are not able and/or willing to do that at this time.  In the absence of this transparency about the data that is being billed, the consumer is left to seek ways to monitor and manage data usage that MAY help. 

This check of data usage by each connected device that provides its own metering of data usage may reveal a specific device or two that are using a lot of data, as it did in my household, then the consumer can work on that device and with comcast to reduce the data consumption.  I have provided you with printscreens of just such a situation in my household and you have not been able to wrap your head around this approach so far.  

Please expand your knowledge and ability to help others trouble shoot this challenge instead of reducing the challenge through negativity. 

Here is a print screen from one of my windows 10 computers showing that this single device used 485 GB of data in the most recent 30 day period.

maryleaZ400.jpg