Community Forum

Data analytics say i used 57GB in 24 hours. Not possible

Frequent Visitor

Data analytics say i used 57GB in 24 hours. Not possible

Out of nowhere I started notcing my internet dropping constantly. Like, every hour. I called xfinity and get the usual. "It looks fine" an don't really want to help because I use a nighthawk router instead of the xfinity modem. Xfinity assured me if I dowloaded the XFI app, that I would seee specific data useage PER DEVICE. but it does nothing of the sort. Just like on the xfinity page. All it shows it total amount of GB used and shows nothiing about which device is consuming the most. Frustrating. My nighthawk netgear also shows all connected deviced but doesn't show what each has consumed. 

This is beyond frustrating because #1 we are only home a few hours every day and we don't upload or download anything aside from watching netflix, which we always have and habve NEVER had this type of spike in usage. 

I need to know why I am unable to see how much data each device is using and why I was told I would be able to see that over and over by THREE xfinity techs. 

New Poster

Re: Data analytics say i used 57GB in 24 hours. Not possible

lots of folks have been posting of the date usage climbing fast without being online. i reported many times they havent figured it out yet. but i know its a glitch on their end. keep calling them its not your modem

Regular Contributor

If you have xFi, click the right arrow on this page https://internet.xfinity.com/ to see the most active devices for the last 24 hours - you can group them in profiles if you want to group all the TVs, computers, etc.

On https://internet.xfinity.com/devices you should see every connected device.  Click it for recent usage,  then the right arrow for a 30 day view.   It is only a low/high scale so you don't get an actual byte count, but better than nothing.

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

If you have xFi, click the right arrow on this page https://internet.xfinity.com/ to see the most active devices for the last 24 hours - you can group them in profiles if you want to group all the TVs, computers, etc.

On https://internet.xfinity.com/devices you should see every connected device.  Click it for recent usage,  then the right arrow for a 30 day view.   It is only a low/high scale so you don't get an actual byte count, but better than nothing.

I see nothing of the sort and that has been the main issue since I have posted.  all it shows is my gateway, my netgear router shows the names and ip of all devices connected but no usaga data. There is absolutuely nothing like what you said in the areas you suggested. Please post a screen shot of what you see beause the closest I get to usage is just the monthly total. Nothing at all, anwhere, about individual devices like a laptop, desktop, firestick, apples device, etc. so frustrating. 

Regular Contributor

If you aren't using an xfinity router they aren't going to be able to see data for your devices.

Frequent Visitor

Then how does it know I am using 998gb of data? It clearly can see what is passing thorugh my router and what it is coming from. This is the worst provider there is. I told the tech last night ten times I was NOT using their router and they said it didn't matter and as long as I had xfi I woudl see it. I guess they all just lie to customers and read whatever is in front of them . This is the worst!!!!!!!!! 

Regular Contributor

The cablemodem and equipment on xfinity's end know how many total packets/bytes they send your direction (theoretically, at least, there might be errors in recording it).   But only your router knows which device on your private network is the end point.  The rented xFi routers report that data back to show on the xFi page.   Nothing else could possibly know the details on the private side of your router - it is the only thing that works on the MAC address level or would know the private IPs.   I suspect that many Comcast customer service people do not understand how networks work.

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

The cablemodem and equipment on xfinity's end know how many total packets/bytes they send your direction (theoretically, at least, there might be errors in recording it).   But only your router knows which device on your private network is the end point.  The rented xFi routers report that data back to show on the xFi page.   Nothing else could possibly know the details on the private side of your router - it is the only thing that works on the MAC address level or would know the private IPs.   I suspect that many Comcast customer service people do not understand how networks work.

Okay, so, since my netgear router dosn't show the usage amounts are you aware of any free 3rd party tools easy enouhg to setup and use that would show usage per device? Wirwsshark is too hard to interperet for someone who is not familiar. 

Expert

@Mike6623 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

Okay, so, since my netgear router dosn't show the usage amounts are you aware of any free 3rd party tools easy enouhg to setup and use that would show usage per device? Wirwsshark is too hard to interperet for someone who is not familiar. 

What Netgear router do you have? My ASUS RT-AC88U has a Traffic Analyzer module that accurately reports how much data passes through my LAN, even showing it per device, per app, and over a period of days, and even months. 

It's possible you just haven't enabled the Traffic Meter for your router - that would be located in Advanced | Advanced Setup | Traffic Meter in my R7000P. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@Mike6623 wrote:

No, the real problem in doing that is again that only the router really knows the details, and most home-type equipment doesn't have management functionality.   All modern ethernet switches isolate traffic per port to the just the connected equipment, plus you have wifi and if you have X1 TV boxes, streaming IP traffic over MoCA to them.   The only point in your setup that carries all the traffic is the connection that bridges the cablemodem to your router (and that still misses the MoCA).  You'd need an old-style ethernet hub that sends all traffic to all ports or an expensive managed switch that allows you to configure a bridged monitor port (and the expertise to configure it) to get all of that traffic sent to a monitoring device.   And at that point you still don't get the end point details that only the other side of the router knows - you would just have a raw traffic count.

Frequent Visitor

@darkangelic wrote:

@Mike6623 wrote:

@lesmikesell wrote:

What Netgear router do you have? My ASUS RT-AC88U has a Traffic Analyzer module that accurately reports how much data passes through my LAN, even showing it per device, per app, and over a period of days, and even months. 

It's possible you just haven't enabled the Traffic Meter for your router - that would be located in Advanced | Advanced Setup | Traffic Meter in my R7000P. 

I have the traffic meter but Netgear confirmed that they do not show usage per device on my router. I hgave an R7000 Nighthawk. 

This is from netgear.

"This request for individual device data reports has been requested for quite a while. Its not currently supported. Some 3rd party firmwares offer this but thats not going to be supported through netgear. "

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/realtime-bandwidth-monitoring-by-device/idi-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Bandwidth-monitoring-by-device/idi-p/1627368

Frequent Visitor

@lesmikesell wrote:

@Mike6623 wrote:

No, the real problem in doing that is again that only the router really knows the details, and most home-type equipment doesn't have management functionality.   All modern ethernet switches isolate traffic per port to the just the connected equipment, plus you have wifi and if you have X1 TV boxes, streaming IP traffic over MoCA to them.   The only point in your setup that carries all the traffic is the connection that bridges the cablemodem to your router (and that still misses the MoCA).  You'd need an old-style ethernet hub that sends all traffic to all ports or an expensive managed switch that allows you to configure a bridged monitor port (and the expertise to configure it) to get all of that traffic sent to a monitoring device.   And at that point you still don't get the end point details that only the other side of the router knows - you would just have a raw traffic count.

Yeah, that was very easy to understand! Come on, Google wif shows all devices and their data usage, just by looking at it. No crazy configurations. I am done at this point, with trying to get an answer about how to see what device is using what. YOu would think Im asking to reinvent the wheel. I just want to confirm that you are telling that, without some expensive switching equipment, I will not be able to see device usage? Get out of here man lol There has to be an install of software that will do JUST THAT but it seems like you are trying to make this even harder by explaining it as if everyone here understands what you are saying.  So my router sees every device, MAC, IP and name, but you are saying it somehow cannot determine how much data is being used by the devices it shows that are connected? This whole thing seems like a delfection from the fact that xfinity has no clue why their users are all getting huge spike...and cannot figure out why

Regular Contributor

Your router obviously directs every packet to/from all of the devices on your private network.

Whether it tracks any history or counts, or provides any way for you to access this data is up to the software the router vendor provides and will vary widely across brands and price ranges.   Expensive enterprise routers have a standard interface to collect data (SNMP) and there are complicated tools to collect it to monitor many devices.  But, it would be cheaper to pay for unlimited data than using any of these or hire a network engineer to configure them.  Which is why they aren't popular in the home market.

What xFi provides to view/manage their routers and see their connected devices is actually pretty nice, at the expense of having to rent the router.   I'd prefer to see an actual byte count per device instead of the low/high percentage use approximation but still it is better than I'd expect, and probably better than anyone else provides. 

None of this justifies billing errors on their side - but it is a complicated thing to track correctly.  Maybe when enough people report it they will figure out what they have in common and fix it.

Expert

@Mike6623 wrote:

I have the traffic meter but Netgear confirmed that they do not show usage per device on my router. I hgave an R7000 Nighthawk. 

This is from netgear.

"This request for individual device data reports has been requested for quite a while. Its not currently supported. Some 3rd party firmwares offer this but thats not going to be supported through netgear. "

Well then, barring a complete upgrade of your router, you could try third party firmware for your router like DD-WRT or Tomato that will let you add the necessary features. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

@Mike6623 wrote:

Out of nowhere I started notcing my internet dropping constantly. Like, every hour. I called xfinity and get the usual. "It looks fine" an don't really want to help because I use a nighthawk router instead of the xfinity modem. Xfinity assured me if I dowloaded the XFI app, that I would seee specific data useage PER DEVICE. but it does nothing of the sort. Just like on the xfinity page. All it shows it total amount of GB used and shows nothiing about which device is consuming the most. Frustrating. My nighthawk netgear also shows all connected deviced but doesn't show what each has consumed. 

This is beyond frustrating because #1 we are only home a few hours every day and we don't upload or download anything aside from watching netflix, which we always have and habve NEVER had this type of spike in usage. 

I need to know why I am unable to see how much data each device is using and why I was told I would be able to see that over and over by THREE xfinity techs. 

Can you share the link for Data Analytics?  I would like to give it a try.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!