Community Forum

Data Harvesting?

Contributor

Data Harvesting?

I got an alert that my Cisco 3941T gateway had gone offline for a few minutes very early this morning and when I checked the modem logs I saw this entry that I had never seen before:

[Harvester][933]: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting”

I assume this is something innocuous but I am curious about what this “DeviceData Harvesting” is all about. I’d appreciate it if anyone could share some insight. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Data Harvesting?

@BobQ wrote:

I got an alert that my Cisco 3941T gateway had gone offline for a few minutes very early this morning and when I checked the modem logs I saw this entry that I had never seen before:

[Harvester][933]: Harvester StartAssociatedDeviceHarvesting : Started Thread to start DeviceData Harvesting”

I assume this is something innocuous but I am curious about what this “DeviceData Harvesting” is all about. I’d appreciate it if anyone could share some insight. 

Googled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/5s57y5/data_harvester_in_event_logs/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Yes, that’s all I could find when I searched. I didn’t find it particularly helpful. I wondered if someone had more specific Xfinity-related info. 

Contributor

I am seeing the same message  in my gateway event log.

It sounds bad. Any ideas on how I should be responding to the message?

Frequent Visitor

Did you ever get a answer about this data harvesting? I have the same thing going on. I was able to track down the IP right back to xfinity.

Contributor

I haven’t heard anything that has proved helpful. Actually, I have found that the logs are no longer reported when I log in to my modem. All I can get is firewall activity. 

Official Employee

BobQ, Hi! Appreciate you posting this. How often have you seen the internet drop around the time of that specific modem log? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

My Internet speeds do drop off intermittently but, as I said, I am unable to access the activity logs for my modem so I am unsure what those speed drop offs are related to. They are quite sporadic and require a modem restart to get speeds back to normal. 

Official Employee

BobQ, got it, thanks for clarifying! I appreciate it. I'd be happy to take a look at your signal levels and see if there are any concerns there pointing to the drops. You can also check https://www.xfinity.com/support/status to check for work in your area to see if the drops coincide with maintenance in your neighborhood. The My Account app also provides info on interruptions as well. Feel free to send me a private message with your full name so I can check things out. Just click my name and then on the next page, you'll see an option to send me a private message on the top right hand side.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

As a point of interest we are having constant drops  - too many to count - and have the same message re Data Harvesting in the log starting June 19 and this week.  What does this mean.  I already have a svc call set up.

Official Employee

Hi, KR9. Thanks for posting! How did your service call go?