Community Forum

Daily Lag Spikes

Frequent Visitor

Daily Lag Spikes

Over the past few weeks I have been experiencing lag spikes, all times during the day and night.  When running a constant ping to 75.75.75.75 or 75.75.76.76 packets will drop then spike to over 3200 ms on the next responding ping. 

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Expert

Re: Daily Lag Spikes

Your pictures are broken. FWIW do not run ICMP packet based pings to the Comcast DNS servers as they are deliberately configured to de-prioritize these probes. Choose other targets like sites that you are having a problem with, your Comcast WAN default gateway address, or google.com etc.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I understand pinging internals ie the the cmts, dns servers, or any other internals with have a skewed result.    But pinging somewhere like yahoo.com, google.com, and or the gateway ip yields the same loss and spikes.  

1.jpg

Thanks,

Expert

How do the rest of the downstream channels look ? Also post the RF error log entries.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

2.jpgSecond3.jpgThird4.jpgFourth

The only logs available are Event, System, & Firewall. 

Expert

The signal stats look. The modem's RF error log entries would be helpful. I don't have a CC gateway device so I can't tell you where to look for them, sorry. Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Frequent Visitor

I am not using wifi, the computer is cat 5 to the arris gateway.  I don't think this gateway gives the end user access to the RF log.

Regular Contributor

Using a utility for TRACEROUTE to the IP addresses might show which leg is having issues.  It could be there is a router along the way from your location that is having issues.

Using the command prompt TRACERT on my desktop:

C:\Users\Joe> tracert 75.75.75.75

Tracing route to cdns01.comcast.net [75.75.75.75]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2    17 ms    17 ms    24 ms  96.120.26.117
  3     9 ms     8 ms     9 ms  69.139.233.53
  4    22 ms    14 ms    12 ms  be-125-ar01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.86.188.93]
  5    18 ms    11 ms    10 ms  ae100-ur02-d.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.87.210.6]
  6    40 ms    10 ms    11 ms  dns-sw01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.86.188.70]
  7    11 ms    10 ms    11 ms  cdns01.comcast.net [75.75.75.75]
Trace complete.
Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

@jarrelp wrote:

I am not using wifi, the computer is cat 5 to the arris gateway.  I don't think this gateway gives the end user access to the RF log.

I'm going to try escalating your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. You should get a reply here in your topic.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks

Expert

Topic now being closed as per the original poster's request.

Regular Contributor

Can someone share what the resolution was?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)