Community Forum

Daily Disconnects after Gigabit Upgrage...Tech has been out twice...Not sure what else to do........

Contributor

Daily Disconnects after Gigabit Upgrage...Tech has been out twice...Not sure what else to do........

Thread updated.

Dynamic Range Window violation.jpg

Expert

Re: Error Message "Dynamic Range Window violation" over and over

Can't see your pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Weird, when I came back to check on this thread just now, I couldn't see the picture either.  

https://flic.kr/p/24k9nPB

Contributor

I think it may have had something to do with LAG enabled in the modem. 

It wasn't a lot, but all the downstream channels of my modem were showing a few corrected errors and my router was showing packet errors on the outbound side of my WAN.  

After seeing no speed increase at all, I disabled the WAN LACP and went back to a single input and no more errors.  

Expert

Please also post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

You don't need to have LAG enabled unless you had 2 gigabit service (not yet offered on DOCSIS).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Everything is showing basically the same as when I had the LAG going, just free from errors all evening/morning since switching back to a single line in. 

https://flic.kr/p/2eWGkhr

Stats.jpg

Contributor

I actually tried out the LAG because I was only getting 750-800 mbps for the gigabit service.  Thought there might have been a bottleneck somewhere that LACP could have helped.  

Expert

Signal stats were o/k at that moment in time.

Contributor

Yeah, it only seem to be happening when using the LAG.  

For now, things are running fine like they are, so I'll leave it instead of try to duplicate the problem (and have family yell at me that the internet is down.  LOL)

Contributor

Well, aparently I spoke too soon and using the LAG was not the cause of the error.  It's back.  

Errors.jpg
Stats 2.jpg
Expert

Nope. LAG problems can not cause those WAN side RF signal / connection quality based errors. Seems that there may be something intermittent going on with the connection to the Comcast system.

The downstream power is a bit on the weak side on many of the channels, and the upstream power is a bit on the high side and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed and latency problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.

There's no splitters in my house....only about 20-30 feet of direct line, quad-shielded RG6 that runs from the outside wall where the service comes in to my SB8200 modem in my office.  The cable is 2 years old.  

I went out to the outside box on the wall just to check and make sure there's no corrosion and I found that the ground wire had broken, so I reconnected it.  Doubt that's the source of my problems though.  

20190227_112932.jpg
Expert

O/k if there is nothing that can be done, then as stated, book a tech visit to investigate. Good luck with it !

Contributor

Well, it's definitely a problem with my upstream signal.  I went ahead and re-attached the ground wire and went to put the coax cables back in the box, then this happened.  

A tech will be out tomorrow.  Hopefully, the only issue is just to recrimp a new end on, and I'll be good to go.  

20190227_153748.jpg
Contributor

Well, I was hoping that re-crimping would fix it, but apparently not.  It's back, though not as often.  

When the tech came out to re-crimp the RG-11, he said he was showing good signal.  

Errors 3.jpg
Contributor

Event Log page full of Dynamic Range Window violation every day

My internet drops a few times a day for only about a minute.  When I go to the event log page, I have multiple "Dynamic Range Window violation" errors.  

When I go to the main page, everything looks okay.  I have no splitters at all in the line, just about 40 feet of quad shielded RG6 from the main drop to my modem.  Where should I go to start troubleshooting?  

This started when I upgraded to gigabit. 

Status.jpg

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Event Log page full of Dynamic Range Window violation every day

If you are sure that you have no splitters, there’s no reason for your downstream to be that far negative or negative at all. If there’s no splitters it’ll probably be a drop or outside issue that will need a tech out.
It doesn’t look like anything has changed between now and the last time that you posted
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Error-Message-quot-Dynamic-Range-Window-violation-qu...

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Well, I drilled the hole in my outside brick wall myself and ran the new RG6 cable in my crawl space directly to my office, so I'm sure there's nothing else other than one run of cable between the outside RG11 and my modem.  

I called to see about having a tech come out and had to go through automated the whole modem reset.  After the reset, the numbers seem to be a bit better.  The power levels haven't been this high since I moved into my house two and a half years ago.  I'm going to go a day or two to give it a test. 

Modem 20190326 2.jpg

Contributor

Well, no luck.  It's still resetting about once a day.  

I had a tech come out.  He said my RG6 cable was sliding out of the end crimp.  He put a new end on it.  All signals are exactly the same and there is nothing different than before.  

I called in again after an unexpected reset and, after going through the automated reset, the guy over the phone told me I should get another modem.  At this point, is there anything else I can do?

Contributor

Daily Disconnects After Gigabit Upgrade...Not Sure What Else To Do.

29 Jan – Upgraded to Gigabit Service

1 Feb – Activated Gigabit service over the phone.

Within the first couple days, I started getting random modem resets.  They generally happen about once every day or two.  On the status page, there won’t be many “corrected” or “uncorrectables” errors if any at all.  And, when the modem resets, the numbers reset to zero.  The four main “events” I receive are:

• SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing
  • No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
  • Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
  • Dynamic Range Window violation (though this has seemed to be fixed with a noticeable downstream power increase on 26 Mar). 

27 Feb – After posting my daily disconnect issues on here and DSLreports.com, someone suggested I check the outside connectors for corrosion.  I found orange RG11 cable from the street loose and as I was repositioning the cable back in the box, the cable it became disconnected from crimped end connector. 

20190227_153748.jpg

28 Feb – Tech came out to recrimp. Said signal was good although downstream power was between -4.0 dBmV and -6.5 dBmV.

23 Mar – Called and reset modem with automated system after unexpected disconnect. Still a lot of “Dynamic Range Window violation” events.

26 Mar – Called and reset modem with automated system after unexpected disconnect. After the reset, I noticed that the downstream power was up anywhere between -2.5 dBmV and +1.0 dBmV. It seems like the Dynamic Range Window violation events have gone away with the new downstream power increase.

31 Mar – Called and reset modem with automated system after unexpected disconnect.

1 Apr - Called after unexpected modem reset. Talked to Robert (CR838926043). Said it might be a problem with the upstream signal. Scheduled tech to come out 3 Apr between 10 and 12.

3 Apr – Tech Robert came out and said the RG6 cable was “succed out” of the connector a little bit. He re-crimped a new end connector on. All signals remained the same. He said they were going to put my line on some kind of watch where they monitor signal levels.

Cable End.jpg

6 Apr – Called after unexpected modem reset. Said no issues seen and I have what’s called a “Green Mile” where the signal looks good. Possibly an issue with the SB8200 modem. Suggested I buy a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem but save the receipt so I could return it if it didn’t fix the problem.

7 Apr - Called after unexpected modem reset. Talked to Sofi in Malaysia. Said it may be upstream signal interference. Scheduled a tech to come out 10 Apr between 5 and 7. She said there may be a $79 fee for the tech coming out. I told her I'd gladly pay it if he fixed my problem.

I'm not sure what else to do. I bought a new RG11 cable and am ready to replace the RG6 cable that's run now. It's in the crawlspace, so it wouldn't be too much of an effort. I'm contemplating buying a new modem. I need to talk to my neighbors to see who else has Comcast/Xfinity and if they're experiencing any of these issues.

Here's a snapshot of the current status and event pages...

Status 1.jpg

Event 1.jpg

The aggrivating thing is that it worked so well when I had 250 mbps service.  I'd gladly go back to it as long as it worked.

Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Contributor

Re: Daily Disconnects After Gigabit Upgrade...Not Sure What Else To Do.

Well, I received a new error event with today's daily uncommanded reset....

"RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW"

Event 2.jpg

Regular Visitor

I was having trouble like that also.  Just out of the blue, my connection would drop.  They replaced items on the pole where it split to run into the house, checked connections -- all kinds of things.  Kept saying it was my equipment blah blah blah. Finally, they even let me "borrow" a modem so they could look all the intermittent drops that were occurring.  One tech actually said I wasn’t the only complaint about the drops.  Come to find out it was a (equipment - I think) problem where the fiber gets switched over to coaxial.  Since they did that, I’ve not had any daily intermittent drops.

I'd go ask neighbors if they are having the same problems.  It may be more than just you with the same problem.

Official Employee

ARAMP1, let's take a look into your intermittent connectivity issues. Please send me a private message with your full name so I can review tech notes and get an idea for what our next steps are. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thanks Ken.  On the way!

Official Employee

ARAMP1, glad you're seeing improvement after the tech visit! Remember you can check the My Account app to get quick info regarding your account and your services. Post again if you need anything!

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.