Community Forum

DPC3941T and MoCA

New Poster

DPC3941T and MoCA

This isn't so much of a question as it is to possibly help someone searching for similar info.  

Recently I signed up for XFINITY Service and was provided with a DPC3941T Gateway.  Due to the required install location for the Gateway I have/had WiFi signal issues extending to the back of the house and backyard.

As I was looking through the Settings on the Gateway, I saw that there was an option to enable MoCA to extend my network. After doing some reseach, I found a Dual-Band Wireless Network Extender and Ethernet over Coax adapter(Actiontec WCB300N01). 

Today the extender showed up via Amazon and the installation took no more than 5 minutes.  

I enabled MoCA on the Gateway.  Installed supplied splitter in another room at the back of the house and connected the coax cables(STB and Extender).  Plugged in the power to the extender and eveything was already working. Finally, I logged into the extender and changed the SSID's to broadcast same as the gateway.  Couldn't have been any simpler and I couldn't be any happier.

Hopefully this post will help someone down the road as when I contacted Comcast tier 2 they weren't able to help because MoCA isn't officially supported yet despite being a feature on their equipment.

Tags (2)
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DPC3941T and MoCA

I install those Actiontec's many times with great results.  I always have a couple in the car ready to install in customers homes.  It's been mentioned many times here on the forum.  Extending your home network with MOCA or powerline adapters is a easy and reliable way to go.  

Comcast is coming out very soon with their own Cisco MOCA wi-fi extender to do what you have done for the DPC3941T and the 3939 gateways.

Make sure you install a MOCA filter on the input of your first splitter into the home so your MOCA signals don't escape out to the public Comcast network and possibly your home network picked up by a neighbor on your tap, and interfere with the Comcast RF portion of the plant.

Not applicable

Did you have to change any settings on the WCB300N01? I have not been successful in getting a stable connection on my home (it seems to connect about once a day). If I understand the documentation correctly, when you enable MoCA on the DPC3941T it becomes the controller. The DPC3941T is also by default setup as a controller. Not sure if this is part of the problem or if something else is causing an issue.

Diamond Problem Solver

wrote:

Did you have to change any settings on the WCB300N01? I have not been successful in getting a stable connection on my home (it seems to connect about once a day). If I understand the documentation correctly, when you enable MoCA on the DPC3941T it becomes the controller. The DPC3941T is also by default setup as a controller. Not sure if this is part of the problem or if something else is causing an issue.

It's something else, all the Actiontec's will connect automatically without needing any configuration to the host MOCA gateway device once MOCA is enabled on the gateway.

Confirm all splitters are rated 5-1000mhz, which will still work with the MOCA frequencies slightly over 1000mhz, and that your home coax cabling is home run from the splitter.  Check that you have a POE / MOCA filter on the input of the 1st splitter off the ground block and that there are no other POE / MOCA filters in the home.  

If you have a drop amp in the home, cabling might need to be rewired, or a zero loss drop amp might need to be installed.  This all depends on how the house is wired and splitter arrangement.  Make sure there are no daisy chained splitters scattered through the house.  RF cabling & splitter loss from the host device to the MOCA devices in the home need to be kept under 30DB at 1150 to 1650 mhz MOCA band.

Try changing the D channel on the gateway's MOCA setting.  If it's on D1, try D3 or D4 up to D8.

Not applicable

I have two splitters at home: a 4 way one right before the 3941T and a 2 way one to connect the WCB3000N and a STB. If I replaced the two way splitter with the one that came with the WCB3000N and remove the 4 way one, I can get the MoCA link between the WCB3000N and a ECB2500C to come up. I suspect there is no POE/MoCA filter

My hope was to use the 3941T as the MoCA network controller and use the WCB3000N and the ECB2500C as nodes. Is this possible?

Diamond Problem Solver

Try replacing the 4-way with a new 4-way MoCA splitter rated for 5-1675mhz and add the POE filter on the input coming from the ground block.  Most of the time installations would get by with the CATV splitters rated up to 1005mhz, or a zero gain drop amp.

You won't find them locally, it will have to be ordered online.

http://www.amazon.com/Holland-Electronics-4-Way-Splitter-5-1675Mhz/dp/B00OTOEIGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

New Poster

Just installed the DPC3941T today, had an existing MoCA network in place with various actiontec devices. Just came on to the boards to report that the MoCA in the DPC3941T works perfectly fine with the Actiontec devices.

Directions for those who need it:

1) Disconnect all existing Actiontec MoCA devices from the coax network (physically disconnect the coax)...or just unplug the power.

2) Install DPC3941T on the network as your primary gateway.

3) Go into admin page on DPC3941T and enable MoCA.

4) Reconnect all Actiontec MoCA devices. Wait for COAX light on devices to turn green.

5) Enjoy.

I have the following Actiontec MoCA devices: ECB2200V (2x), MI424WR revD (1x), MI424WR revI (1x)

(the MI424WR's have their DHCP turned off and are basically being used as access points)