Community Forum

DPC3491T Latency Spikes

Frequent Visitor

DPC3491T Latency Spikes

I used to have a TG862G/CT gateway. Comcast has been wanting me to do a modem upgrade, so I did it. So far, I've had numerous issues with this modem from the very first time I hooked it up. My router wasn't getting an IP from it, despite the modem being in bridge mode. I have that issue mostly resolved, as long as I don't power cycle it.

Anyways, the brunt of this issue is the latency I'm experiencing with it. Most of my video streams are dropping off and I'm also having issues with my Nest cameras. I'm seeing ping spikes in the hundreds when pinging Google. My internet was just fine with zero issues until I switched to this modem. All of the troubleshooting steps I've done on my own point to the modem being the issue, which makes sense because in the last 3-4 years I've had service, the only thing I've changed was the modem recently, and have had issues ever since.

With a bit of research, it seems this modem has a Puma 6 chipset which is documented to have latency issues. Knowing this, I highly regret swapping out my modem. I wouldn't have done it if I knew this before hand.

Is it possible to get a modem that doesn't have the Puma chipset? I would buy my own but I have voice service under contract so that's not an option.

Expert

Re: DPC3491T Latency Spikes

You could switch out for a Technicolor TC8717 which uses Broadcom and is also an XB3. You just lose xFi.
Frequent Visitor

I got on the chat support and had them leave a note on my account to ship me out a Technicolor one (since I already have an order placed to swap the modem). I wasn't aware of the issue with the Puma 6 when I did it. I'm not sure if that will do anything. They also did escalate the issue to the development team, and they're supposed to call me in 24-48 hours. The fact that none of their reps are aware of this issue is astounding. There should be an immediate recall on the DPC3941T. It's been well over a year and still no fix.

Silver Problem Solver

radicalentity wrote:

I got on the chat support and had them leave a note on my account to ship me out a Technicolor one (since I already have an order placed to swap the modem). I wasn't aware of the issue with the Puma 6 when I did it. I'm not sure if that will do anything. They also did escalate the issue to the development team, and they're supposed to call me in 24-48 hours. The fact that none of their reps are aware of this issue is astounding. There should be an immediate recall on the DPC3941T. It's been well over a year and still no fix.

Just an FYI; I had a DPC3941T and Comcast sent me an unsolicited replacement; an Arris TG1682G.  I haven't had any issues with it.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I just got this modem in mid December. So they're still giving them out. It's astounding that these modems are still on the shelves at stores.

Worst case scenario is that I can just keep the modem just for the phone and provision my own for just internet. But that would just seem like a waste. I wish I could drop the phone service and get an Ooma.

Expert

RobertWy wrote:

radicalentity wrote:

Just an FYI; I had a DPC3941T and Comcast sent me an unsolicited replacement; an Arris TG1682G.  I haven't had any issues with it.

Mine doesn’t have any issues currently but it is also a Puma 6 device. I would actually say the Arris TG1682G is the best working Puma 6 device. The only issues I have with the 1682 is the logs and some minor latency problems between client to 1682. 

Frequent Visitor

So I dug out my old SB6141, I hooked it up, and kept my gateway connected. I read on here you can keep your Comcast modem just for the phone and use your own for data. The representative told me they can't do that. Is that true?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

radicalentity wrote:

So I dug out my old SB6141, I hooked it up, and kept my gateway connected. I read on here you can keep your Comcast modem just for the phone and use your own for data. The representative told me they can't do that. Is that true?

We see that done all the time here for customers. You need to get the right rep.

Frequent Visitor

I got someone to do it on chat. I’ve seen in various places that the rental fee doesn’t apply when you use their modem just for voice. Is this true?