Community Forum

DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Replacement

New Poster

DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Replacement

So I'm trying to plan a purchase to replace the disappointing XB6 Router provided with my Gig plan. I have phone included in my plan, but I really dont care about keeping it. Just for sanity sake, I can just get the DOCSIS 3.1 CM1100 (https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1100.aspx) and be done with it right? I really dont care to spend an extra $100 for something i dont want or need.

Thanks!

Expert

Re: DOCSIS 3.1 Modem Replacement

@ZeroFox wrote:

So I'm trying to plan a purchase to replace the disappointing XB6 Router provided with my Gig plan. I have phone included in my plan, but I really dont care about keeping it. Just for sanity sake, I can just get the DOCSIS 3.1 CM1100 (https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modems-routers/CM1100.aspx) and be done with it right? I really dont care to spend an extra $100 for something i dont want or need.

Thanks!

If you can drop the voice portion of the plan and still pay a reasonable amount for your Xfinity subscription, then by all means, go for it as long as you have a good router as well to manage your network. 

If you decide you still want voice, FYI, Netgear just announced a voice capable version, the CM1150V

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

If you are unable to drop voice service, you will still be required to have a voice modem (eMTA) setup and the best one I can say would be the one @darkangelic suggested.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

So theres a technical different in the line? I guess my point is if i plug in the non voice router, will internet services still work? I work with networking for a living, but will be more than honest when i say I dont know a thing about Coax.

Expert

It might still work but an audit could possibly result in your promotion being taken away and replaced with the internet only price. Comcast doesn’t want to be in a position where you’re paying for services you’re not using or getting.

Expert

There are also laws regarding 911 and other emergency services that mandate that any phone should have a physical location attached to it.

If you maintain the phone service, you have to have a voice modem. 

There's also this alternative - before my CM1150V, I had a dual modem setup, with an ARRIS SB8200 for gigabit and an older ARRIS TM722G for voice only. You can probably pick one up really cheap used off Amazon or some other site, rather than shell out extra $$ for the CM1150V. 

New Poster

Ah perfect. That was the technical reasoning I was looking for. I can get the C1150. I don’t think ill mind the extra ports anyhow. Might be a little less tight with 2 LAG ports setup anyhow.

Thank you much!
New Poster

MB8600 FTW with second cheap eMTA for voice (TM502G/TM722G/TM822G)

Official Employee

Hi ZeroFox. Thank you for visiting and posting on our Forum.  If you need assistance getting your new modem activated, I can help. I can also assist if you have any equipment or account specific questions. Feel free to send me a private message and include your full name so I can assist you. To send me a private, message click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile. Then click "Send a message" and private message me. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.