Community Forum

DNS Problems

Regular Visitor

DNS Problems

I switched to Xfinity internet about a month ago, and I am having constant DNS problems.  If I try to connect to a website using its URL - cnn.com for example, most of the time I get a screen like this. If I hit reload several time, eventually it will load it.

Capture.PNG

Now, if I know the IP address of the site, I can always ping it and connect to it without any problems.

This is not limited to one computer, my phone has the same connectivity issues when connected to the Wifi that is connected to the Xfinity modem. Here is an example - IP works, but URL doesn't.

IMG_3274.PNGIMG_3273.PNG

I am very frustrated. Don't know how to resolve this problem. Xfinity support just checks that the modem is connected, and as far as they are concerned everything is working fine. 

Restarting the model seems to help for a little bit, but the problem returns. I can't be restarting the model every hour.

Expert

Re: DNS Problems

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi @demart

I can assist you with your internet connectivity issues. Can you please follow this link and post your signals so we can help isolate the cause? You will want to scroll down midway through the page and look for the "Check Your Signals" section. Thanks. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Here is the signal information. In the meantime, I have tried to factory reset the cable modem, I have tried installing a separate wireless access point, and I have tried several different devices. The problem is intermittent, but fairly consistent.

Startup Sequence    
   Startup Step Status Comment

Acquire Downstream Channel 537000000 Hz Locked

Upstream Connection OK Operational

Boot State OK Operational

Configuration File OK d11_m_mg7315_performancestarter_c01.cm

Security Enabled BPI+

Connection Status    
   System Up Time 0 days 01h:03m:25s  

Network Access Allowed  

Downstream Bonded Channels  

Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV) SNR (d Corrected Uncorrected 1 Locked QAM256 9 537.0 2.4 41.9 0 0 2 Locked QAM256 8 531.0 2.1 41.4 0 0 3 Locked QAM256 10 543.0 2.0 41.4 0 0 4 Locked QAM256 11 555.0 2.0 41.4 0 0 5 Locked QAM256 12 561.0 2.0 41.5 0 0 6 Locked QAM256 13 567.0 2.3 41.9 0 0 7 Locked QAM256 14 573.0 2.2 41.7 0 0 8 Not Locked Unknown 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0 0 Total             0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels  

Channel Lock Status Channel Type Channel ID Symb. Rate (Ksym/sec) Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV) 1 Locked ATDMA 1 5120 35.8 33.8 2 Locked ATDMA 2 5120 29.4 33.8 3 Locked ATDMA 3 5120 23.0 32.3 4 Locked ATDMA 4 5120 16.6 31.3

Connection 1.PNG

Official Employee

Hello demart. We appreciate you visiting and posting on our Forums. I can assist with troubleshooting your connectivity issues. In order to have a better insight, I will have to poll the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem, and check your local Node/Plant for signal degradation / errors. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full name so I can assist you. To send me a private, message click my name (ComcastJoeTru) to view my profile. Then click "Send a message" and private message me. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi demart. Since I didn't get a response from you, this thread has been locked. Please don't hesitate to send a private message if you continue to need help with this, or create a new post if you need assistance with anything else. Thank you.