Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

DNS Entries disbaled by Comcast provisioning on customer owned devices - WHY ??? NOT COOL !!!!

New Poster

DNS Entries disbaled by Comcast provisioning on customer owned devices - WHY ??? NOT COOL !!!!

So I purchased an ARRIS SVG2482AC (an approved device for xfinity). It took about 2 hours to get it set up on the comcast network. Now I find that comcast is not allowing me to change my DNS entries on my own device ?? This is not cool. I called arris twice and got the same answer, comcast supplies the provisioning (firmware) that they push to the modems and that COMCAST has to allow this to be changed. I called comcast again and again and they basically start from scratch with me and say I have to change it on my end. Most of them say that i shoudl be able to edit it. I say, well you are not allowing me to change it.  I know I can change it on all my laptops\Pc manually, but I own this device and I shoudl be able to make such a change globally on it.

I wanted to email or write someone about this, but cannot even get an email address to send this to from support.

So i appears that I have basicall wasted 240.00 on somethign I can't control anyway. At least I can save the 11.00 rental fee. I guess I will have to turn off the wifi on it and use an internal gatweay and or swith it to bridge mode or something.

this is BS comcast...............

Frequent Visitor

Re: DNS Entries disbaled by Comcast provisioning on customer owned devices - WHY ??? NOT COOL !!!!

I am having the same issue.  I can not set the DNS setting on my ARRIS SVG2482AC that I just purchased for $240 in March 2018.

Below is a screen capture of the firmware that DOES offer DNS setting capability.

I am just suprised that the ARRIS SVG2482AC took away setting the DNS servers for customers.

There are many DNS services that protect against malware and other unwanted content (i.e.  Comodo Secure DNS which is free ).  So I would think that ARRIS and COMCAST would let a customer that paid $240 for their own COMCAST Cable Modem, to allow them to set their own preferred DNS servers, to one that protects agains malware and unwanted content.

side-by-side-ARRIS.jpg
Problem Solver

Re: DNS Entries disbaled by Comcast provisioning on customer owned devices - WHY ??? NOT COOL !!!!

The only problem with the 2482 is that based on the firmware it pretty much resembles an XB3 device. I know the alternative to the 2482 is a Netgear C7100v which does let you change DNS settings last time I checked.

EDIT: it is being worked on to fix that problem to let you change the DNS Servers on the 2482. In the meantime as a workaround, just change the DNS on the client connected to the 2482.
Expert

FWIW, this is a viable solution, but it can't be changed in many client devices so it does not make it an easy solution compared to it being done on one's third party home network device.

Don't use any gateway devices with which Comcast in total control of the firmware / features...