Community Forum

Cut coax cable.

New Poster

Cut coax cable.

So I did something stupid today. I was digging a hole outside and I accidentally cut the coaxial cable that runs from the street to my house. Obviously my Internet and tv is down (typing this Fromm phone). I have some tools and connectors for coaxial cables, so my initial reaction was that I will just add some connectors and everything will be fine and dandy. But I noticed that the cable outside is much thicker than the one that runs inside my house (guessing its a resistance issues because of the distance from the street to my house).

My question to you guys is what size of cable does Comcast use outside? (its an orange cable. Easy to see once you already cut it) What type of connectors and tools will I need to fix it?
If I posted in the wrong forum I apologize. Feel free to move it.
Problem Solver

Re: Cut coax cable.

IMHO....I would NOT try to fix it myself....Simply call Comcast and explain what happened...

Any repairs you attempt will be temporary at best...USUALLY damage of the type you mention involves replacing a section of line...and CC crews have the professional equipment to do the job....

Unless it's out-and-out "vandalism"....CC will NOT charge you for repairs...just be honest, and things should work in your favor....

FWIW...color notwithstanding....the cable you describe COULD be RG-11 or another type of (specific) underground 75 ohm coax.....

Good luck!

New Poster

Well why would I cut my own Internet cable on purpose? Haha. But I will call and ask if it will cost me anything tomorrow. I spliced the cable together tonight and my Internet works perfectly (as well as my tv). Full speed and everything.

I thought that Comcast had a standard for cables they use outdoors. That's why I asked. If they want to charge me for it I will just do a more permanent splice tomorrow and forget about it. I see no difference in my service (not yet anyway)
Silver Problem Solver

You are very lucky you got it working. Please post back on how many calls and how long it takes for Comcast to fix the splice.

Diamond Problem Solver

The "orange" color coax is called flooded cable and it is designed for direct burial applications as it is more water resistant than standard coax. I hope that you insulated the splice very well (even then it's not ideal) and did not re-bury it yet. If so, you are asking for worse trouble in future as water ingress will be an issue that will ruin the entire underground drop and it will need to be replaced. You really are not supposed to tamper with, modify, or repair the drop as it is their property.

New Poster

Well, well, well. It seems that this is a classic example of acting, before thinking-it-through. Next time, if there is a next time, (I'd strongly urge you to call "a guy") you should decide to ex wield the shovel ONLY AFTER calling the Safe Digging 800 number for your municipality. :-/  Wahhh Wahh. The next time you demonstrate your lack of handy-intelligence, maybe think about keeping that to yourself and not posting it on the Internet.

......By the way how did you do that splice?

Regular Contributor

My issue is not that I cut the line/s but the Comcast installer cut them and left 5 lines dangling outside out home.. Even after I told the installed to remove the mes they did not do so.. claiming these will add strength to the other lines.. maybe.. but it leaves a mess outside our home.. Adding to this mess is of course Verizons lines.. So needless to say.. to many lines can be a bad thing..