Community Forum

Current firmware?

New Poster

Current firmware?

Been having issues lately while playing a game, will get latency spikes on my connection to my modem according to the test they had me run with WInMTR

Was told to try to update my firmware, but not sure how to check what the current build is, but have unplugged my modem and reset it plenty times trying to get these issues to stop the past month or so, so I figure it should have been updated already - but reset it just incase.

Also, while playing certain games on Xbox one, I think i'm getting the same issues as randomly in online games (madden specifically) I will get kicked with nothing else in the house seeming to be effected. I have tried setting up the port forwarding for it, but my specific xbox won't connect but the others in the house connected to wifi will, while mine happens to be corded directly to a switch.

Firmware : TG3482PC2_3.5p11s1_PROD_sey

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's getting to the point where one game is unplayable due to being able to be kicked at any minute and lose all progress, and the other game I try to play will have terrible frameloss while connected to specific instances in the game. 

Thanks in advanced if you can help
Expert

Re: Current firmware?

@pochizzled wrote:

Been having issues lately while playing a game, will get latency spikes on my connection to my modem according to the test they had me run with WInMTR

Was told to try to update my firmware, but not sure how to check what the current build is, but have unplugged my modem and reset it plenty times trying to get these issues to stop the past month or so, so I figure it should have been updated already - but reset it just incase.

Also, while playing certain games on Xbox one, I think i'm getting the same issues as randomly in online games (madden specifically) I will get kicked with nothing else in the house seeming to be effected. I have tried setting up the port forwarding for it, but my specific xbox won't connect but the others in the house connected to wifi will, while mine happens to be corded directly to a switch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it's getting to the point where one game is unplayable due to being able to be kicked at any minute and lose all progress, and the other game I try to play will have terrible frameloss while connected to specific instances in the game. 

You're using a Comcast leased ARRIS XB6 / TG3482G - leased Comcast equipment gets the most recent approved firmware automatically pushed to them. 

I had that gateway before and I used to encounter tons of issues with latency when gaming, which many attribute to the Intel Puma 7 chipset in that device.

I recommend that If you can, try and swap that gateway at your local XFINITY store with the alternate version of the XB6, the CGM4140COM, which uses a Broadcom chipset. It worked for me. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Current firmware?

@darkangelic wrote:

@pochizzled wrote:

You're using a Comcast leased ARRIS XB6 / TG3482G - leased Comcast equipment gets the most recent approved firmware automatically pushed to them. 

I had that gateway before and I used to encounter tons of issues with latency when gaming, which many attribute to the Intel Puma 7 chipset in that device.

I recommend that If you can, try and swap that gateway at your local XFINITY store with the alternate version of the XB6, the CGM4140COM, which uses a Broadcom chipset. It worked for me. 

Thank you so much for the reply, and will be going in tomorrow to try and get that switched.

It didn't make any sense, as they just ran a new wire recently and still had issues. Hopefully this will fix it and I can go back to being a happy camper haha.

Appreciate it again, and will let you know how it goes.