Community Forum

Critical Error message on Modem

Regular Visitor

Critical Error message on Modem

We (neighbor and I) have been having problems with our internet. After several complaints and tech visits, it appears that improvements were made to the line this week.  We are now getting the 100/10 vs 20-100/.029-6.0.

As the appointment was already set up, we still had a tech come out as we still had slow speeds and modem resets/critical errors.

The tech spent +/- 2 hours going through the lines various tests. We even removed a splitter that was serving basement/bedroom that was not being removed. He told me that everything is in specs. 

With that said, we are still having issues and are getting critical error messages on the modem. Based the previous tech advice, we repalced the modem. The modem is an Arris SB8200.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Critical Error message on Modem

The stats as read at the modem level at that moment in time were o/k but there are three additional signal stats that can cause those errors which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem. Good luck !

Official Employee

Hello dbaker65, I have responded to your private message please reach back out to me there. 

Official Employee

dbaker65 wrote: We (neighbor and I) have been having problems with our internet. After several complaints and tech visits, it appears that improvements were made to the line this week.  We are now getting the 100/10 vs 20-100/.029-6.0.

As the appointment was already set up, we still had a tech come out as we still had slow speeds and modem resets/critical errors.

The tech spent +/- 2 hours going through the lines various tests. We even removed a splitter that was serving basement/bedroom that was not being removed. He told me that everything is in specs. 

With that said, we are still having issues and are getting critical error messages on the modem. Based the previous tech advice, we repalced the modem. The modem is an Arris SB8200.

I show that this issue has been addressed and resolved by your local dispatch team. Have a good day.

Diamond Problem Solver

If that is so. Good to hear OP !