Community Forum

Content Manipulation Warning from Symantec

New Poster

Content Manipulation Warning from Symantec

I received a warning from the Symantec Endpoint Protection app that "content manipulation" has been detected on my home network. I work with sensitive information, so SEP blocks my connection (to my own network) and informs my company's security team. When I Googled the warning, many users are saying Comcast injects code to track bandwidth, and in fact, I received an email yesterday that I hit 50% for this month. That would explain why it's just happening now for the first time.  If I turn on VPN, the warning goes away, so it's definitely an issue with my modem/Comcast. Any thoughts if this is accurate? I can't have an internet provider that's unusable with my work devices.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Content Manipulation Warning from Symantec

From what I've read here, if you hit warning levels, Comcast does inject warnings into your browsed pages.

Here's a recent thread about this:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/How-do-I-block-or-stop-the-Xfinity-usage-messages-in...

Expert

Are you using a leased gateway? You may avoid the issue if you use your own modem and router (or continue using the gateway in Bridge Mode, in conjunction with your own personal router).

If you're dealing with sensitive information, you should probably connect to your company VPN to begin with, probably even run a VLAN inside your home LAN to isolate your work computer from the rest of your network. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hi @rhodyrock

@darkangelic's recommendations for a workaround is what I would have suggested. Was this helpful for you? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@rhodyrock

This post is now closed. If you are still in need of assistance, please create a new post. Thanks. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.