Community Forum

Constant internet disconnects and packet loss all day

Frequent Visitor

Constant internet disconnects and packet loss all day

I'm getting 50-100 constant disconnects for 10-60 secs on my internet during the day. At night maybe it only happens 1-5 times. It seems to conincide with hot weather. We have had this problem for 1.5 years now but in colder seasons its only around 20-30 disconnects per day. We've had 10 technicians visits where I've been told the issues was with the "plant" and that the technicians can't help me or that my modem isn't meant for gaming; or they've always said they saw something wrong and then 1 min after they left I disconnecte again. I believe the problem is packet loss from using Pingplotter. Anytime it goes off it shows packet loss on every hop. I've never had internet this bad and I've been using it since 2005. Its not just on games. The internet is completely off for those 10-60 secs and I can't do anything. The current modem is a Cisco DCP 3941T.

Expert

Re: Constant internet disconnects and packet loss all day

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Is this a WiFi connection ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

upstream: 71ab5f3cb52d95d831be8b266eee4dd4.png

downstream: ds1.pngds2.pngds3.pngds4.pngds5.png

This problem happens with wired and wifi connection simultaneously.

Expert

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Expert

The numbers all looked good at that snapshot in time. Please post the modem's error / event log entries as well.

Frequent Visitor

There weren't any events found. This is what my pingplotter looks like though everytime https://gyazo.com/952c769b9036d99be614a106eef352ec.

Frequent Visitor

fwl.pnghttps://gyazo.com/78a520578a4af1442ee2b788bf8a2d04 This popped up for firewall logs. 

Expert

Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They will be able to poll the CMTS to see whether or not everything is in the green zone, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and also see a history plot for the modem. You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

P.S. I would recommend that you get that 3941 gateway swapped out for a different make and model as it is possibly still subject to the Puma 6 chipset issue.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your help. I've heard of the puma 6 chip. The last 2 times they replaced our modem was the arris 1682 with the same chip.

Official Employee

Hello dbm129,  thank you for reaching out here and I would like to help review signals further on my side for you.  Could you please send me a private message with your full name to begin?

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi dbm129, thank you for working with me through private message and glad we could get a tech out there for you.  Please reach back out if you need any assistance in the future.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.