Community Forum

Constant dropping of ethernet connection

New Poster

Constant dropping of ethernet connection

I just got a new modem last week after a service call. We had been using a much older version and got the newer gateway model. I have two different computers connected using ethernet. One is holding steady at 1000 MPS connection and has been great. The second connection is at 100 MPS and literally drops and reconnects every 1-2 minutes. I bought a new cat6 cable to see if that was the issue, but that has done nothing.This is incredibly frustrating. Anyything that downloads is interrupted. Even trying to chat with comcast customer service I can't continue bc I am dropped and kicked out the conversation. This is a brad new piece of equipment. Why is working worse than the old one I just got rid of

Expert

Re: Constant dropping of ethernet connection

What happens if you swap the connections on the two gateway ports ? What is the exact make and model number of the gateway device ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Same response when I switch cords in the ports. The second computer still keeps dropping. According to the admin page, my model number is CGM4140COM

Expert

O/k so then it's not the gateway or that gateway port. It must be the second computer that is at fault. Does it have the latest driver update for its NIC / ethernet card ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

OK,  I will check for that. Forgive me, I am a novice at this, but why would the drivers work ok with the old modem but not the new? Just out of date?

Expert

Not certain. Maybe they don't play nice together ?

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem with the same modem  CGM4140COM constantly dropping connection.Any help for me?