Community Forum

Constant T3 timeout errors and modem resetting

Frequent Visitor

Constant T3 timeout errors and modem resetting

Hi,

I am posting here because I am on my wits end with dealing with the phone support overseas.

Over the last year or so I have had constant issues with my internet connection. I only have broadband , no TV service. So, I have the cable drop to the box at my house and the cable run into the house, that connects directly to a Motorola Docsis 3.1 cable modem. No splitters anywhere. Grounding block inside the box where the drop connects to the cable running into the house. Cable length from the box is about 25 feet to the modem.

Long story short, In April of this year, I finally managed to have a tech come out. He diagnosed the issues to bad connections at the pole and at my neighbors house.

Everything was great for three weeks until the local power company decided to install new power poles in our neighborhood. They left the old pole with the cable right next to the new pole. That same day my connection to the internet went bad. Constant T3 and then T4 errors all day and  somewhat less frequent at night.

I have called support at least five times over the last three month and they finally send a tech out last Sunday. He checked the lines going to the pole and into my house, from the outside box. He said all was fine and he could not find a problem. I showed him the error logs from my modem and he said this was normal. Really?

I tried to explain the history of my problems. No luck. He had to go on to the next appointment.

As a side note, I also told the tech support on the phone that Comcast needs to come out and move the lines to the new pole. They twice told me that a service bulletin was made and they would come out and do this. Not done yet as of today.

Here are my screenshots from yesterday. As it shows the modem will finally time out on the retries and then reset the interface internally. That is when the connection drops.

Screen1.pngScreen2.png

How can I get a competent tech to come out and troubleshoot this issue? Calling Comcast has not worked for me at all.

Thank you ,

James
Expert

Re: Constant T3 timeout errors and modem resetting

Can't see your pics. Since you are a new poster, they likely need to be approved by a Forum Admin. Or you may need to make a minimum number of posts.

You could try hosting them at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to them here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Interesting. Any idea how many posts I need before I can post pics?

I do not have an offside account for hosting pics.

Thanks,

James
Expert

The sites that I suggested are free.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I can see the pics now.

Anybody else see them?

James
Expert

Yes. 

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the error log entries confirm that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

Thanks 

Hopefully this will get resolved.

James
Official Employee

Hey @Firetruck1

Thank you for reaching out on the Forums to make us aware of your experience. I apologize for this and would be more than happy to investigate this further. Can you please verify your first and last name in a private message so I can access your account? To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Hello 

As of 6/28/19 I am still getting T3 timeouts. It was cooler today here in Florida and the timeout errors were not as numerous.  Not sure there is a corollation.

This is frustrating.

James
Official Employee

Hey @Firetruck1

I understand why it would be frustrating. I apologize in my delayed response to your private message as I am off on Friday's and Saturday's, but I am reviewing your account now and will be replying shortly. Chat with you soon.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Connection has been perfect with no errors over the last 48 hours. 

James
Regular Contributor

My event log for my gateway looks about the same with a TON of T3 timeouts and I just had THIS pop up on the event log after almost a week of solid connection:

Mon Jul 01 12:29:25 2019 Notice (6) TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=30:60:23:71:14:66;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:6a:e2:6d;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
Official Employee

Great! That's good to know @Firetruck1. Just o be on the safe side, I'm going to keep our message open. Please reach out to me in our private message if you do begin to have more issues. 

@CheapestGamer, thanks for letting us know. We can investigate your issues as well. Can you please post a picture of your levels so we can help determine the cause? 

Expert

@ComcastChe 

@CheapestGamer Has an established thread here which I escalated earlier;

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Intermittent-internet-outages-for-10-20-minutes-at-a...

Official Employee

Thanks @EG.

Expert

No prob ! Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Good morning

Sad to say but after decent connection over the last few days, the dropouts are starting to come back.

Yesterday I had a few in the afternoon and today I already had two this morning. 

I am receiving alot of warnings and then a few T3 timeouts until the modem resets the interface.

I am also wondering as to when Comcast is going to move all the lines in our neighborhood to the new power poles that JEA installed over a month ago. I can`t help wondering if the installation of the power poles had somthing to do with the degrading of the signals.

James

James
Official Employee

That's a bummer @Firetruck1. Thank you for following up. I'll keep investigating! I'll be replying to your private message shortly. 

Regular Visitor

can i get the same? i've made multiple posts and calls and your employees have done nothing to help