Community Forum

Constant Packet Loss will make me change ISP's.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Constant Packet Loss will make me change ISP's.

I have been a Comcast customer since 2010. If this problem does not get solved, i will be switching ISP's. My internet is fine all day until 8pm hits, i have been having high packet loss (Up to 90%) starting from 8pm through 8am every day for the past 2 months. I have been monitoring this very closely the entire time. My download speed is completely fine all the time, It is just my upload speed that is being effected. I have seen many posts about this exact problem happening to other comcast users online, so this issue is known throughout the Comcast "Tech Support" Team. The online support team is an absolute joke so this is what i'm resorting to. This problem has nothing to do with my side of things, a technician that will be sent to my house cannot fix this issue. My Modem/Gateway is perfectly fine, otherwise i would be having these problems throughout the day.

During the day 

During the night (8pm-8am)

Expert

Re: Constant Packet Loss will make me change ISP's.

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

Yes.. it's hard wired. This problem is coming from the xfinity side, so it wouldn't matter to much anyways.

Expert

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the gateway ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@EG wrote:

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the gateway ?

The first link won't load, where do i find the info you are asking for? System logs? If so, then i have tried all the time frames and none of them will load. I only have the packet loss at 8pm-8am, will the info even help if i am not experiencing any packet loss problems right now?

ARRIS TG1682G

Expert

https://setuprouter.com/router/arris/tg1682g/screenshots.htm

Frequent Visitor

@EG 
DOWNLOAD

SNR
37.64 dB
38.61 dB
37.36 dB
37.64 dB
38.61 dB
37.64 dB
37.36 dB
38.61 dB
38.61 dB
----
34.48 dB
38.61 dB
38.98 dB
38.98 dB
37.09 dB
36.39 dB
37.64 dB
37.64 dB
38.61 dB
37.64 dB
37.36 dB
37.36 dB
36.61 dB
36.39 dB

Power Level
-7.50 dBmV
-6.50 dBmV
-6.50 dBmV
-6.70 dBmV
-6.50 dBmV
-7.10 dBmV
-7.30 dBmV
-7.30 dBmV
-7.30 dBmV
----
-6.40 dBmV
-6.20 dBmV
-7.00 dBmV
-7.70 dBmV
-7.90 dBmV
-8.00 dBmV
-7.90 dBmV
-7.80 dBmV
-7.50 dBmV
-7.70 dBmV
-8.00 dBmV
-8.80 dBmV
-9.10 dBmV
-9.40 dBmV

UPLOAD

Power Level
54.00 dBmV
52.75 dBmV
52.25 dBmV
53.00 dBmV
Expert

The upstream power is too high side and it may be intermittently fluctuating even higher to out of spec levels. And the downstream power is weak. That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, and speed, latency, and packet loss problems.

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Frequent Visitor

@EG 
Would this explain the packet loss only happening at 8pm-8am? lol.
I really think this problem is server/comcast side.

Expert

It might. It might also be a combination thing with network traffic congestion at those times too. Either way, it needs to be addressed. You have a connection quality problem that can only get worse. Good luck with it !

Frequent Visitor

Would love a response from a comcast employee explaining why you guys are capping my internet speed. I feel scammed.
I see that AT&T Fiber has great reviews in my area.

Silver Problem Solver

@dianamincey wrote:

Would love a response from a comcast employee explaining why you guys are capping my internet speed. I feel scammed.

I doubt they are capping our speed;  I have gigabit and I get an ethernet download over 900 most times.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

(notice Gigabit is provisioned for 1.21G

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@dianamincey wrote:

Again. You have a signal / line / connection problem that needs to be addressed before anything else..