Community Forum

Consistently Exceeding 1TB data cap on gigabit internet usage, advice?

New Poster

Consistently Exceeding 1TB data cap on gigabit internet usage, advice?

Hi there! 

We recently upgraded to gig speed internet after cutting cable with the plan of transitioning completely to streaming with Amazon fire tv but quickly realized there would be complications with our plan. We upgraded to gig speed for the sole purpose of streaming whatever we wanted to our hearts content, without having to worry about buffering or anything like data limits- we were sorely mistaken. In a first month of use in a three person household, one user was away for the majority of the month, another went without using any internet for a week, and the last user was the only one streaming consistently almost daily, yet we still managed to go over the 1TB cap on the last day by about 10gb. I called customer support and looked into upgrading to an unlimited data plan, but increase in cost didn't seem worthwile and excessive. However after revisiting the issue we have know something needs to change because now, somewhat ironically, we've had to start limiting our internet usage to stay under the cap, which is exactly what we wanted to avoid in upgrading to this plan. The month before we switched to gigabit we only used 374GB, and me making up the bulk of that usage probably used about 250GB of that 374 since the other two users were still watching cable instead of streaming. I have seen people saying that comcast is "exaggerating" people's data usage or straight up scamming people by displaying false data usage amounts in order to charge overages and get people to switch to the unlimited plan, although this seems a bit farfetched, it my situation it could be plausible.  We've thought about buying our own modem to get rid of the service costs, and use those extra 10 dollars saved in case of overages, but we realized the extra 50gb you get with an overage is just too little. Below you will see a data estimate I made using Xfinity's data usage calculator. This is really frustrating and we've recently been thinking of dropping xfinity all together or downgrading to a lower speed to prevent this. Any advice would really be helpful, thank you so much! https://i.postimg.cc/qRsr2Tq0/data-estimate.png