Community Forum

Consistent but slow speeds since upgrading to Gigabit

New Poster

Consistent but slow speeds since upgrading to Gigabit

I had Blast Pro for a while, and was maxing out my old Motorola SB6121 at ~170mbps. I recently upgraded to Gigabit and got a new Motorola MB8600 for it (purchased on my own). However, since upgrading and installing the new modem, I am consistently getting a steady 95mbps. Not 950; 95 -- as in about 1/10 of what I should be getting, and just over half of what I was getting.

I've tried from multiple devices, multiple operating systems, and directly connected.  I've power cycled the modem and equipment. I've called Comcast and had a reset sent (which can be seen in the logs). Directly connected I get slightly higher speeds (a smidge above 100mbps) but certainly nowhere near what I was getting on Blast Pro. Any thoughts on why this is happening, or other suggestions would be appreciated.

My internet plan is the Gigabit tier, as per https://customer.xfinity.com/#/devices:

Internet Plan

Below are screenshots of my connection details and logs as per the modem:

Software Info

Connection Startup & Status

Connection Downstream Channels

Connection Upstream Channels

Event Logs

Expert

Re: Consistent but slow speeds since upgrading to Gigabit

I don't see anything wrong with your modem stats.

Check the quality of the Ethernet cable you're using, is it Cat 5E or better? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes, the ethernet cable to the router is a one-foot Cat5e cable. I tested a direct connect with a 6 foot Cat6 cable.

New Poster

Any thoughts on this? I feel like the modem isn't getting properly provisioned. Thanks to the latest update I can no longer see the configuration file name, so I have no idea if it got the correct gigabit config, or if it's gotten the wrong one or what.

I know it's not my equipment (router, PC, etc), this same equipment was able to max out my old SB6121 at ~170mbps on a 200mbps line without a problem.

Silver Problem Solver

@Jessica_Lee wrote:

Any thoughts on this? I feel like the modem isn't getting properly provisioned. Thanks to the latest update I can no longer see the configuration file name, so I have no idea if it got the correct gigabit config, or if it's gotten the wrong one or what.

I know it's not my equipment (router, PC, etc), this same equipment was able to max out my old SB6121 at ~170mbps on a 200mbps line without a problem.

Did you see this?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Jessica_Lee wrote:

I feel like the modem isn't getting properly provisioned. 

What upload speed do you get on the speed test? If it's in the neighborhood of 35 Mbps then the modem is properly provisioned for gigabit.  (1000/35).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!